Coral Vue Hydros

Is this safe to use?

Robbie_Maxwell

Robbie_Maxwell

Hi guys. Im in the process of setting up my first reef tank and have just recieved my dry rock but some of the pieces have some kind of rusty color on them. Im just wondering if its okay to use them? Thanks. 

9653DA1C-E451-4CC3-825A-AA14B26665F6.jpeg

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

It might be alright; but since it doesn't cover the whole rock, or all of the rocks, I'd be tempted to just break off that section (just to be safe).  However, I wouldn't worry about a little bit of discoloration.

I’d cure it just to be safe. Some of the dead rock “live rock” can still have crap decaying that may lead to problems down the road. Get a circulation pump and container that will hold the rock and water and let it go through a cycle. 

• Like 1
Robbie_Maxwell

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I think im just gonna scrape it off to be safe. I got it from a shop here in ireland and it didn’t specify what type it was. It was just called ’ocesn rock’. Thanks again. Ill keep you updated on how my set up progresses

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Robbie_Maxwell said:

I got it from a shop here in ireland

Yeah, it's probably not the same stuff that we have access to (certainly not as porous).  However, I assume it's still a calcium carbonate based rock, that's mined out of the ground.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Just break off anything that you feel might be suspect.

It kind of looks like caribsea dry rock. But it also looks like rock used for freshwater.

Can you take a pic of the other pieces? That may help determining what rock it is.

Or call the store and they should be able to provide you with the kind of rock and the supplier

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Is this the place and rock?

Its listed as ocean rock

http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Ocean-Rock/4814

The rock in the picture on the website is way more porous like we are used to seeing with rocks used in our reef tanks while his picture looks completely different. 

I wonder if his rock got tossed back in the wrong bin.  🤔

I agree with seabass that it does seem to be calcium carbonate based rock because of the white powdery dust/particles on the OP’s hand in the picture. 

Robbie_Maxwell

The only reason i went for the ocean rock as opposed to the reef rock was that i dont really like the look of pukani(sorry if I butchered the spelling) which is what i thought was in the the picture. ill ring the shop and make sure i got the right stuff just to be sure. Thanks

I'm interested in what they will say.  However, their site describes it as, "This material is perfect for providing an alternative, complimentary or the base rock layer for Marine systems".  Most vendors sell less porous rock as base rock.

But that doesn't really mean anything except that it might not be the most attractive rock that they sell.  We're covering it with corals anyway, right?  Just create a nice aquascape and it won't matter what the rock itself looks like.

BTW, I think it looks fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Robbie_Maxwell said:

Ya that’s exactly what i bought. The rest look to be more what i was expecting but still not as porous as the picture. 

The rock you got is more than likely fine.

• Thanks 1