Top Shelf Aquatics

Blenny: Tailspot vs Bicolor

Daniel91

A Little Blue

P.S other than that, I don’t think there are any behavioral differences or care requirements. And yes, it’s early in the morning for me. Certainly need some coffee. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Daniel91 said:

Thanks for the input, people! Can’t wait to get myself one. Just can’t decide - I guess I’ll pick based on LFS stock and condition of fish.

I had been trying to decide on what to get for a while and last trip to the store they had a tailspot and I was like SOLD!!! Wife was dying laughing at me cause I got super excited they had him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a tailspot and hes awesome. That being said, i've heard a couple stories about the bicolors nipping at SPS. Its not very common, but apparently it happens, so just something to keep in mind. My tailspot is so funny, picks at algae on the rocks and glass, eats like a pig, and gets along with everyone. Great fish.

• Like 4

I have a bicolor in a 5g. 

Great fish. Very cute. 

I have. Tailspot in qt and its equally adorable.

The difference is adult size and the tsb has a smaller mouth so needs small food.

Both like seaweed and I find blennies as a lone fish tend to hide in the rocks like gobies but when there is another fish in the tank, they are more social, active, and full of character

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 12:19 AM, Clown79 said:

I find blennies as a lone fish tend to hide in the rocks like gobies but when there is another fish in the tank, they are more social, active, and full of character

My tailspot thinks hes a clownfish and schools around with them. its pretty hilarious.

2 hours ago, dvs1986 said:

My tailspot thinks hes a clownfish and schools around with them. its pretty hilarious.

Lol. I had a bicolor with a clown. They were best buds too. It was really cute.

When the blenny mysteriously died(suspect my pom pom killed it) my clown stopped swimming around the tank and stayed in 1 area.

My new tsb and clown have started becoming friends.

It's cool to see different fish species interact because not all will.

I don't think  fish alone are as happy as they are with a friend. It's not a natural environment.

• Like 1
A Little Blue

TSB & Sixline Wrasse became best buddies in my frag tank. The fact that they don’t compete for the same food source helps. TSB is there for algae control and Sixline for pest control. 

No issues whatsoever. They seem happy. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Lol. I had a bicolor with a clown. They were best buds too. It was really cute.

When the blenny mysteriously died(suspect my pom pom killed it) my clown stopped swimming around the tank and stayed in 1 area.

My new tsb and clown have started becoming friends.

It's cool to see different fish species interact because not all will.

I don't think  fish alone are as happy as they are with a friend. It's not a natural environment.

Whoa wait?! A pom pom can kill your fish??

I had a tailspot for a week he was awesome then the following week he just vanished. I thought he maybe somehow got out( I have an eggcrate top with a couple very small gaps but he would need skill to jump through) And I thought maybe my cat maybe got him. I haven't seen a trace of him for a week. He would hang with the clown and they would swim together. I thought maybe the clown could have turned on him and chased him into the rocks. My pom pom lives in the rocks.

14 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Whoa wait?! A pom pom can kill your fish??

I had a tailspot for a week he was awesome then the following week he just vanished. I thought he maybe somehow got out( I have an eggcrate top with a couple very small gaps but he would need skill to jump through) And I thought maybe my cat maybe got him. I haven't seen a trace of him for a week. He would hang with the clown and they would swim together. I thought maybe the clown could have turned on him and chased him into the rocks. My pom pom lives in the rocks.

It's not a common occurance but some suspect and confirmed them killing a fish.

The anemone poms can stun fish and other things if it chooses to. Thats their defense.

My bicolor was healthy, active, eating, and then I added a pom pom.

The pom pom chose the same rock as home that the blenny slept in.

One night he went into his rock home for sleep. Next day I suddenly realised late afternoon I had not seen him since moonlights went out.

That's was odd. I started looking and the pom pom was in the rocks with his body in his arms. No one else was near the fish but the pom pom. 

I replaced the blenny with a spotted goby. At night I noticed the pom pom come out and inch slowly and sneakily to the goby with poms extended. When this started, soon after the goby jumped to his death.

He had never been a jumper until the pom pom started coming out and going near him at night.

The only area for the goby to get out was a tiny area between my filter and mesh lid...directly above the pom poms rock home.

So when I upgraded the pom pom went into my pico jar...suddenly my hermits and snails were not going missing anymore either.

My 10g, I couldn't keep snails or hermits for long. Shells were lined next to the pom poms home. That's what he ate. No joke, it was a harem of shells...a little too coincidental that every snail and hermit shell gathered in one area.

He also went into the pico....the one pom pom lost his poms and stole the other guys. Then he started going after the other guy and I found him eating him one day.

So I don't necessarily think they are all bad as many have no issue, I just lucked out with 2 murderous ones. 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It's not a common occurance but some suspect and confirmed them killing a fish.

The anemone poms can stun fish and other things if it chooses to. Thats their defense.

My bicolor was healthy, active, eating, and then I added a pom pom.

One night he went into his rock home for sleep. Next day I suddenly realised late afternoon I had not seen him since moonlights went out.

That's was odd. I started looking and the pom pom was in the rocks with his body in his arms. No one else was near the fish but the pom pom. 

I replaced the blenny with a spotted goby. At night I noticed the pom pom come out and inch slowly and sneakily to the goby with poms extended. When this started, soon after the goby jumped.

I found my goby 1 day outside my tank dead.

He had never been a jumper until the pom pom started coming out and going near him at night.

The only area for the goby to get out was a tiny area between my filter and mesh lid...directly above the pom poms rock home.

So when I upgraded the pom pom went into my pico jar...suddenly my hermits and snails were not going missing anymore either.

My 10g, I couldn't keep snails or hermits for long. Shells were lined next to the pom poms home. That's what he ate.

He also went into the pico....the one killed the other.

So I don't necessarily think they are all bad as many have no issue, I just lucked out with 2 murderous ones. 

Holy cow.. thanks for that clown I had no idea. I only have one fish in my 20 and it's a clownfish. I knew the pom pom nems had a sting actually my lfs wore gloves to get him out of a tank but didn't think much about it. I wear gloves when I'm doing anything in my tank but I wonder if that's why he did.... That could very well be what happened to my blenny. He actually was perching very close to where my pom pom cave is. Wonder if he got him the night before I couldn't find the blenny anymore. Now I don't want to add another one because I don't want him kill another fish. Not getting rid of the pom pom though cause he's really awesome lol. Only see him once every three weeks lol. Hmm maybe I'll just wait till my 75 is up and running and get a tailspot for that tank.

Thanks for the quick insight. 😀

6 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Holy cow.. thanks for that clown I had no idea. I only have one fish in my 20 and it's a clownfish. I knew the pom pom nems had a sting actually my lfs wore gloves to get him out of a tank but didn't think much about it. I wear gloves when I'm doing anything in my tank but I wonder if that's why he did.... That could very well be what happened to my blenny. He actually was perching very close to where my pom pom cave is. Wonder if he got him the night before I couldn't find the blenny anymore. Now I don't want to add another one because I don't want him kill another fish. Not getting rid of the pom pom though cause he's really awesome lol. Only see him once every three weeks lol. Hmm maybe I'll just wait till my 75 is up and running and get a tailspot for that tank.

Thanks for the quick insight. 😀

I like them too. Very cool crab although I only saw him about every 3 weeks too. 

For me it's the only logical explanation for my blenny death and hermits.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

I like them too. Very cool crab although I only saw him about every 3 weeks too. 

For me it's the only logical explanation for my blenny death and hermits.

Yeah definitely.. especially finding out that little tidbit from you that seems too like a logical thing. Thanks again clown 🙂

On 8/27/2018 at 7:00 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yeah definitely.. especially finding out that little tidbit from you that seems too like a logical thing. Thanks again clown 🙂

Yw😁

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...