inTank Media Baskets

Changing salt brands

Toxic enigma

2 hours ago, Toxic enigma said:

Also interesting ( but possibly unrelated) is that my BTA that for about a month now resided in a hard to see crevice on the back of the rock has now moved to a spot on the front, and some of my acros that barely ever had polyps out are starting to.

Then I got the last spot in the Hooter's parking lot, and the waitress left her number on my check with a heart.  She picked up on the first ring when I gave her a call. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 11:35 AM, seabass said:

It's quite possible that you are overthinking it.  Every time you buy a new coral, you are putting it in saltwater that might have completely different parameters than what it was in.  That said, some corals are more tolerant to sudden increases in alkalinity than others.

Lots of people use RSCP.  I assume that they make no effort to acclimate new corals to the higher alkalinity.  Although, IDK, maybe they should.  Personally, I feel the RSCP is a little extreme.  I guess I just prefer something with more typical levels.

I plan on switching salts today. I want to move away from IO into the Red Sea club. My tank has only been up for about 3-4 months. I’m wondering if the blue bucket will be ok for my system. IO doesn’t advertise their params but everywhere I’ve read says it’s 10. My api tests fresh batches 10-10.5, depending on how you see the yellow. 

Is the blue bucket usually for more mature systems that have had a lot of growth? Would going down from a stable 10 to 7-8 be problematic? 

Seabass i quoted you because I really appreciate your advice, we’ve gone back and forth before. Also...

my purple monti cap is currently depressed from a leaking scenario that I had to switch my reef to a different tank from. It went about 2 days without adequate light, now it’s slowly turning white and it’s peeling, polyps aren’t as hairy as it was before the leak. Is this thing dying? What’s the final count for a monti cap? Will the new salt make that worse? 

Thanks in advance. Is it normal to think about reefing as much or more so than sex?! 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, RedPhotog said:

I plan on switching salts today. I want to move away from IO into the Red Sea club. My tank has only been up for about 3-4 months. I’m wondering if the blue bucket will be ok for my system. IO doesn’t advertise their params but everywhere I’ve read says it’s 10. My api tests fresh batches 10-10.5, depending on how you see the yellow. 

Is the blue bucket usually for more mature systems that have had a lot of growth? Would going down from a stable 10 to 7-8 be problematic? 

Seabass i quoted you because I really appreciate your advice, we’ve gone back and forth before. Also...

my purple monti cap is currently depressed from a leaking scenario that I had to switch my reef to a different tank from. It went about 2 days without adequate light, now it’s slowly turning white and it’s peeling, polyps aren’t as hairy as it was before the leak. Is this thing dying? What’s the final count for a monti cap? Will the new salt make that worse? 

Thanks in advance. Is it normal to think about reefing as much or more so than sex?! 

Alk going down isn't as problematic as going up.

RS blue bucket is a favoured salt. 

I switched to it and love it. Extremely consistent 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RedPhotog said:

I plan on switching salts today. I want to move away from IO into the Red Sea club. My tank has only been up for about 3-4 months. I’m wondering if the blue bucket will be ok for my system.

I don't see why not.

Is the blue bucket usually for more mature systems that have had a lot of growth?

Not really.  I mean you hear some people switching to it for their SPS corals (which are often mature tanks).  However, there is no real reason that you can't start a new tank with it.  In reality, it's probably closer to natural seawater (NSW) levels than many other salt mixes.

Would going down from a stable 10 to 7-8 be problematic? 

I would just take it slow.  Doing (10 - 15%) weekly water changes will slowly adjust the parameters to the new mix.

Seabass i quoted you because I really appreciate your advice, we’ve gone back and forth before.

No problem.  Glad to help out when I can.

Changing parameters is just another thing which can potentially cause it stress.  I expect that changing mixes won't be initially beneficial.  But hopefully you can provide it with an even more stable environment (so that it can recover).

• Like 1