SaltCritters.com

Thoughts on ChemiPure?

Nano Nano Boo Boo

KW NANOREEF
37 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

I currently just run nylon bags with whatever I feel is needed. Wondering if I should give something else a shot?

Used it. Didn’t see much improvement. Mainly for algae control and phosphate removal. I wouldn’t change anything in your setup until you see something go wrong:)

I like it just for the ease of it. From what I see it’s just a mix of carbon, phosgaurd and some DI resin. But I could be wrong. 

• Like 1
KW NANOREEF
1 minute ago, Sancho said:

I like it just for the ease of it. From what I see it’s just a mix of carbon, phosgaurd and some DI resin. But I could be wrong. 

Sounds about right

My tank did better with Chemipure Elite and Purigen than it did with Chemipure Blue. 

Now I’m trying to switch over to NOPOX so I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to totally remove the Chemipure Elite and Purigen... it’s still in there for now. 

I used to use it.

Didn't have any benefit besides being pre bagged. It costs too much imo. Doesn't last as long as claimed.

I bag my own media which I prefer so I can control the qty used and change it more frequently.

I have had better results that way.

• Like 2

I’ve used carbon and purigen with good results. Haven’t seen much of a difference when I’ve tried chemipure in the past, just seems expensive for what it is. Buy your own bags and media and it’s a lot cheaper. 

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I used to use it.

Didn't have any benefit besides being pre bagged. It costs too much imo. Doesn't last as long as claimed.

I bag my own media which I prefer so I can control the qty used and change it more frequently.

I have had better results that way.

What do you use for media? Activated carbon? 

I have a biocube 29 and am using chemipure Blue, filter floss, and a carbon filter cartridge.  I've seem claims that the chemipure should last 6 months, but I haven't seen that to be the case.  For me it lasts about three months, with a weekly rinse off.  Bagging your own media is interesting.  I know the bulk of what's in the chemipure product is carbon, but what else are others using in their self-made media bags?  I'm always looking for ways to save on maintenance.