Top Shelf Aquatics

What is my Duncan doing?

Phill2222

Bit worried about my Duncan coral, 8-9 heads all over it but has been closed up and barley opening for a week, all other corals are ok. Fish are good. Is this normal? 

KW NANOREEF

What fish are in the tank? Just want some info. Is there a potential for a nearby coral to sting it? Have you moved powerheads around? Is thencoral

in the same spot as usual? Have you changed light intensity or schedule? All of these could be a factor! Hope your Duncan perks back up!

• Thanks 1
On 8/7/2018 at 8:42 PM, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

Same spot as always? Any other corals growing near it? 

A Kenya tree got near it and may have touched it, I saw it once touch the Duncan’s flesh, I moved the Duncan then returned it after I moved the Kenya tree.

22 hours ago, KW NANOREEF said:

What fish are in the tank? Just want some info. Is there a potential for a nearby coral to sting it? Have you moved powerheads around? Is thencoral

in the same spot as usual? Have you changed light intensity or schedule? All of these could be a factor! Hope your Duncan perks back up!

Two clowns and a damsel, the Kenya tree which has gotten noticeably bigger the past few months has, power head also the same, lights the same, schedule the same, thanks for hoping that. They accepted some shrimp and now are opened more than yesterday. Hopefully they are ok. My favorite coral. 

On 8/7/2018 at 8:22 PM, Aurortpa said:

Mmm not typical to be closed for a week. What changes have happened?  

It was moved due to a Kenya tree too close to it, then I moved the Kenya tree because the Duncan’s loved that spot prior. But they accepted shrimp and look a bit better.

Are you running carbon?  Some softies can ooze out defensive chems that can irritate other corals.

Eating is a good sign—a duncan that doesn’t eat is a definite worry. You can try to ensure it has return flow upstream of other corals too—see if that helps after a week or so.

KW NANOREEF
1 hour ago, Phill2222 said:

Two clowns and a damsel, the Kenya tree which has gotten noticeably bigger the past few months has, power head also the same, lights the same, schedule the same, thanks for hoping that. They accepted some shrimp and now are opened more than yesterday. Hopefully they are ok. My favorite coral. 

It could potentially be the damsel or the clowns trying to get the Duncan to host. I don’t see that happening. Most likely cause would be the damsel.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, KW NANOREEF said:

It could potentially be the damsel or the clowns trying to get the Duncan to host. I don’t see that happening. Most likely cause would be the damsel.

The only thing they have ever done is pulling the food out of its mouth, which is he most annoying thing to me, I give them shrimp too when I feed the Duncan’s to make them go away and they eat what ever I give them, but they will go to the Duncan take the food out and not even eat it. So I’ll have to stand guard with a net to shoo them away.

16 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

Are you running carbon?  Some softies can ooze out defensive chems that can irritate other corals.

Eating is a good sign—a duncan that doesn’t eat is a definite worry. You can try to ensure it has return flow upstream of other corals too—see if that helps after a week or so.

I’ve ran carbon since I got them, always the same amount never more, the Duncan’s looked good today, all the heads were extended 90% or more, I’ll try that as well thanks.

• Like 1