Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chalk Bass, what have people experienced

brianinak

I am considering a chalk bass or two for my tank.  Curious about other's experiences.  Have been doing some homework, they seem to get high praises.  Have come across that 34g display maybe to small for 2 on only a few sites.  

Tank 36g display

2 clowns

2 bangai cardinals

1 diamond Goby

cleaner shrimp (larger than chalk bass)

Strawberry crab

red tuxedo cussion

variouis hermits and snail

various coroal.  

Would love to hear what peoples experiences have been with them,

Seems like you have a good number of fish already, don’t know your filtration though. Also need to look at what available territory is left.

I had one years ago in a 14 Biocube. I had it by itself but it was pretty cryptic but friendly at the same time. It stayed in a cave but would come out waiting for food. 

I had some peppermint shrimp and tiny hermit crabs which it left alone. 

My chalk bass was voracious! I had a really hard time keeping the tank mates well fed, as the chalk bass would gobble everything up. I got one because of all the glowing reviews online, but I was glad to move on once it passed. Just my 2 cents. Have a clowfish now that loves food, but much smaller mouth and not as agile a swimmer. Like above poster said, chalk bass are a small grouper, and they definitely act like it.

l did get the chalk bass.  So far he is the perfect gentleman and eating well.  Does not seem to out compete others for food.  Spends fair amount of time visible and in a cave.  Looks great under the antic lights.  So far happy with purchase.  

• Like 3

No idea whether there is any truth behind it, but I was told by the LFS that they are prone to pop-eye in the same way that some fish are ich-magnets. We thought about getting a small group so will be interested to see how yours gets on 😊 Definitely an interesting fish that seems perfect for the larger nano-reefs