Coral Vue Hydros

Clowns in heat?

Phill2222

My two clowns are my favorite out of my 4 fish, they have been fighting recently. I made sure on was bigger than the other to prevent this, they do their little vibration dance (the smaller one does) (male) but after that the larger female nips and chases him, this has just recently been happening, every time she nips he stops swimming and vibrates again. Should I be worried? His fins all look fine no damage but I’m just worried. 

I’m thinking about getting rid of my striped damsel and blue damsel, though my blue damsel is my oldest fish and has taken punishment from my beginning year in the hobby  (poor guy) but I’ve learned so much more, in the past year and now have great coral growth etc. I am thinking I’d like to reduce the bio load, though the tank can handle it, the damsel was very rude to my clown pair and nipped and hurt them too, I isolated him in a breeder box for a good two weeks for the clowns to get comfortable, and now he doesn’t bother them. He’s special due to being my first fish but I don’t know to get rid of him or not. 

The damsel is a rude fish.

This behavior isn't so much rude as it is natural for damsels.  You could look into a springerii damsel, I have one, they are extremely peaceful fish. 

As for the clowns, unless there is frayed fins or significant physical trauma, they're fine.  Mine do that all the time.

Pretty typical for clowns. I had a pair of ocellaris that went into the tank at the same time and were fine with each other for over a year and a half. Then for some reason the female started beating up on the male, but only at feeding time. She would hit him so hard you could hear it outside the tank. I finally swapped the male out, even though he was my fave, for a yellow clown goby and the female's been very laid back since. Ya just can't figure fish.

If there’s no visual damage I’d say you’re fine, also if everyone in the tank is getting along well and your nutrients are fine I wouldn’t try to remove anyone as it would just cause unnecessary stress.

• Thanks 1