SaltCritters.com

lack of surface skimming in fluval flex reef conversion

LogistcalReefer

LogistcalReefer

I setup a fluval 15 gallon as a reef a few months back, it work really pretty great, I needed to retrofit the light, but otherwise un modded.  the big issue im having is a lack of surface skimming.  this is for 2 reasons, first is fluval has a second in tank to the main chamber down load in the tank, this lets water bypass the top surface skimmer even if I had the water low in the tank to skim the water, second issue is if I did have the water low enough the water would be lower than I would like.  my thought was to get a intank suface skimmer to raise the water level.  but unsure of a good way to block the lower intake without completely draining and drying the tank.  anyone have any ideas?

other idea was to stick a nano intank surface skimmer/filter in the first rear chamber to skim the water.

the hole is there so your return doesnt run dry... but yes try to mod a surface skimmer on the top. it should work or you can get a piece of plastic and turn it into a water gate to correct the over flow  

22 minutes ago, LogistcalReefer said:

unsure of a good way to block the lower intake without completely draining and drying the tank.  anyone have any ideas?

Reef epoxy?

24 minutes ago, xthunt said:

Reef epoxy?

that would be my guess

if you want a bit more work each week you can put foam or filter floss in that bottom hole. just be sure to change it out regularly

Fill up the hole in the bottom. It prevents surface skimming.

Everyone fills the hole in the fluval specs and evo's.

I filled mine with crazy glue but epoxy will work too.