Top Shelf Aquatics

Same clownfish morph or two different ones?

NeonZoie

Im just curious of some opinions,  what do you prefer? Two clowns of the same morph ( color,pattern, etc.) Or two different types? Im asking because once my tank is ready for fish im not sure if i want two wyoming whites or one wyoming white and maybe a mocha vinci or something similar.

25 minutes ago, NeonZoie said:

Im just curious of some opinions,  what do you prefer? Two clowns of the same morph ( color,pattern, etc.) Or two different types? Im asking because once my tank is ready for fish im not sure if i want two wyoming whites or one wyoming white and maybe a mocha vinci or something similar.

Honestly, get fish you want. You’re the one that has to see and care for them. #### what we tell you is better. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Honestly, get fish you want. You’re the one that has to see and care for them. #### what we tell you is better. 

Haha yeah very true i just wanted some opinions 😄😄

59 minutes ago, NeonZoie said:

Haha yeah very true i just wanted some opinions 😄😄

I could be wrong but, essentially the percula and occy color morphs are just percula and occy with different colors. Thinkthe difference between a yellow or a chocolate lab. Same animal though. Get the one you like. 

Edit: and that’s my opinion. 

29 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Its personal preference really. 

It's kinda neat having 2 different looking  clowns though, adds diversity to the tank.

Visual or genetic?

9 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Visual or genetic?

Visual. Must be a percula or ocellaris. 

I would not mix 2 different species of clowns.

Mixing perc and occy can be done. Some folks have even been able to even breed them resulting in new morphs. However, it is less likely that they will pair inter species.

I recently tried to pair a large female standard occy with a small picasso perc. It didn’t work out because the female was way too aggressive with the picasso.  I suppose I could have ended up with the same result trying to introduce another occy, but we’ll never know. 

I think you will give yourself a better shot for success going with two occy’s or two perc’s instead of trying to mix species. I ended up removing the occy and replacing with an onyx picasso. Similar morphs but not exactly the same. Here they are.

Reg picasso up front and onyx picasso in the back.

F9E4A496-0913-416F-B383-3D00A3A75D80.jpeg

• Like 1

I was under the impression that wyoming whites and mocha vinci were both occellaris? On cultivated reef thats what it says in their description?

3 minutes ago, NeonZoie said:

I was under the impression that wyoming whites and mocha vinci were both occellaris? On cultivated reef thats what it says in their description?

They are. Picasso’s, onyx, true perc’s and one strain of snowflake, are about the only strsins of percs you will find. Pretty much everything else is Oscellaris.

• Thanks 1
Acetabularia-less

I've been considering this myself. I currently have a lone black and white jerk-fish and have been considering adding either a snowflake or a naked occy for the added interest. Most people seem to have a matched pair. I wonder if it is because they like the look or if it is just easier to find two of the same. 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Acetabularia-less said:

I've been considering this myself. I currently have a lone black and white jerk-fish and have been considering adding either a snowflake or a naked occy for the added interest. Most people seem to have a matched pair. I wonder if it is because they like the look or if it is just easier to find two of the same. 

I have a matched pair because I like the look of it. With all the diversity I add to my tank in terms of corals and other types of individual fish I thought a matching pair of clowns would set them apart more as a mated pair.

You can definitely keep the same species of clown together even though they look different. Supposedly you can keep an ocellaris with a percula as well, but from my personal experience it didn't go well at all and my female came very close to killing her partner. A few years later and I have her paired with an ocellaris and they get along beautifully. In my opinion, I would just play it safe 🙂

Yeah i never had any intetion to mix ocellaris and percula together i just wanted to have two different morphs of ocellaris. I agree having two of the same can set off the wide variety of corals well my problem is just thay im to indecisive! Haha i love wyoming whites and i love mocha vincis so why not one of each?

• Like 2

I really like mocha vincis as well! I’m planning on moving my standard clownfish pair to my new tank since they want nothing to do with my bta, so I’ll be choosing a new clown myself. I would love a mocha vinci, but I’m prioritizing getting a clown that’s already known to host in an anemone. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NeonZoie said:

Yeah i never had any intetion to mix ocellaris and percula together i just wanted to have two different morphs of ocellaris. I agree having two of the same can set off the wide variety of corals well my problem is just thay im to indecisive! Haha i love wyoming whites and i love mocha vincis so why not one of each?

Cool! I have a mochavinci and love the pattern on it - doing one of each lets you have the best of both worlds 🙂 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

Cool! I have a mochavinci and love the pattern on it - doing one of each lets you have the best of both worlds 🙂 

Haha thats what im hopinh i definitely cant wait for my cycle to be finsihed and the tank to stabilize

• Like 1

Personally I think they look more cohesive as a pair when they look similar. My first clowns were both wyoming whites, the pair I have now are both “mocha” colored but one is a misbar and one is a davinci and I think they go together pretty well. In the end it’s whatever you prefer though as it’s your tank. A really cool contrasting pair I think would be a midnight and a wyoming white.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...