Coral Vue Hydros

Biocube 32 return pump

Nano Nano Boo Boo

Nano Nano Boo Boo

Gotcha. I’m assuming the cobalt made version? Always read that they were the best ones due to better construction. 

• Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
20 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use a regular maxijet 600 in my 10g aio.

Maxijet have been around forever and they are reliable pumps.

A great pump is sicce.

I thought about the sicce 1.5 for my Biocube. Wondering if it would be overkill 

Not sure. What the gph on the stock pump compared?

You don't want too much or too little turnover in the back chambers.

10 times turnover is considered a good amount.

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Not sure. What the gph on the stock pump compared?

You don't want too much or too little turnover in the back chambers.

10 times turnover is considered a good amount.

I honestly think people worry too much about their return pumps.  Flow should come from powerheads, returns just provide mechanical and chemical filtration.  Increasing flow will help mechanical filtration, but doesn't really increase chemical.  Also, if you're not careful you will overwhelm your media basket, which will only hurt mechanical filtration.  If you can find a DC pump to fit (and if it is in the budget) it may be the best option as you can dial it in to the capacity of the media rack.  

5 minutes ago, specore said:

I honestly think people worry too much about their return pumps.  Flow should come from powerheads, returns just provide mechanical and chemical filtration.  Increasing flow will help mechanical filtration, but doesn't really increase chemical.  Also, if you're not careful you will overwhelm your media basket, which will only hurt mechanical filtration.  If you can find a DC pump to fit (and if it is in the budget) it may be the best option as you can dial it in to the capacity of the media rack.  

Well that's the issue.

People think more in the sump is better, it can be,  but too much flow causes water to turn over too quickly, impeding the media's ability to work.

Essentially causing poor filtration.

Turnover for filtration should be 7-10 times

So 350 gph with 32g is 10 times turnover.

3 hours ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

Gotcha. I’m assuming the cobalt made version? Always read that they were the best ones due to better construction. 

Yes, branded Cobalt

Italian made pump.

Nano Nano Boo Boo

Thanks for all the information friends! Honestly I’ve got about all the updates done so this is more of a,”why not?” Purchase. Ended up ordering the cobalt 1200. Should be a slight increase to help a bit. I’ve got a rotating wave maker on the return nozzle so should just agitate the water surface a bit more and add some random flow patterns.