Coral Vue Hydros

Frag Tank Question

Brian1313

I am sure this has been answered somewhere but I am setting up a 20 gallon frag tank.  In terms of cycling how is that done with no live rock in the tank?  does it need to be cycled?  I will have an aquaclear on the back so I could fill it with good bacteria rubble from my main tank or those marine pure cubes.  Thoughts?

Euphylin me

if you are planning on setting up a long term frag tank, yes i would cycle it. feed very small amounts once it is cycled to ensure the bacteria are fed....thats how i do mine

3 hours ago, Brian1313 said:

I am sure this has been answered somewhere but I am setting up a 20 gallon frag tank.  In terms of cycling how is that done with no live rock in the tank?  does it need to be cycled?  I will have an aquaclear on the back so I could fill it with good bacteria rubble from my main tank or those marine pure cubes.  Thoughts?

Yes it requires cycling.

Most use a sump and the rock is in the sump.

You can also use a large hob filter with biological media to replace the rock.

• Like 1

If you don't have a sump, you could use a few of the marinepure plates under the rack to have enough bacteria.

An aquaclear may be sufficient, but if you clean out the sponge, it could have a significant impact on total bacterial populations.  I'd prefer to have the biofilter separate from the mechanical filter.

• Like 1