Pod Your Reef

Serpent Star triage (pic)

skijumpersc

skijumpersc

My serpent star is disintegrating. He's lost all of his legs distal to the... i dunno... shoulder? He's still moving and his disk looks good, no white spots or disintegration. What can I do? Observe and hope he makes a miraculous recovery? I put him in a breeder box so that he can't crawl off and hide in case he kicks the bucket. I'm sure he'd be less stressed if he could go under a rock, but I don't want him to die and rot away where I can't find him. 

IMG_6185.JPG

I saw on your tank forum that your nitrates were at 40. Probably the cause of your problem with the star. High levels can stress them out and they will start dropping legs left and right. Another possibility is that your emerald crab is bullying your star.

• Like 1
skijumpersc
3 hours ago, Joevember said:

I saw on your tank forum that your nitrates were at 40. Probably the cause of your problem with the star. High levels can stress them out and they will start dropping legs left and right. Another possibility is that your emerald crab is bullying your star.

He didn't make it, I 'd love to get another one but I need to get my nitrates down first. I was wondering about the crab thing, but I don't think that was the case, the emerald is still pretty tiny and the star started seeming stressed right around the swing in salinity and nitrate spike

• Sad 3