ReefCleaners.org

how soon should my new fish be eating?

sadie

I put a very small clown and a yellow clown goby in my 12 gal QT yesterday.  I read some ppl don't feed for 24 hrs, while others will feed if the fish are out and look healthy.

I fed sinking 1mm sinking pellets last night, clown seemed interested, but didn't eat them.  I scooped them out with a fish net.

This after noon I fed some frozen mysis shrimp with a pipette and neither ate it.  I left the pumps off for a bit, just left the moon light on, and left them alone for about an hr.  but it was still there.

When should I get be concerned, and what can I do?

I just fed them again (the pellets) this time my clown caught one, but spit it out.  I know some ppl soak their pellets.  I was wondering how long.  

I generally start them on flake food before pellets as new fish are more likely to accept them.  Since the LFS had your clown for a while I would call and ask what they have been feeding and start there.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, specore said:

So they were feeding pellets?  

yes, sorry my answer was so quick and sharp, 😄 I was being "summoned" and had to go.

So yes, they were feeding pellets, they are tiny, but I don't think small enough.  After soaking my pellets, I dropped one in and it broke apart.  My clown was able to grab some of the smaller pieces and eat it.

I was thinking of putting my cleaner shrimp in the tank to eat up all the uneaten food.  But I think I will just do more WC to keep up with the waste.  My goby comes out of hiding and perches on the LR, so all looks good so far.

Usually takes a few days for mine to get interested in food. I wouldn’t keep trying different foods, just stay consistent for now. Might need to break up the 1mm pellets. For small fish, I use .5mm

• Like 1

I would try some flake, frozen mysis or if nothing else brine shrimp.  Frozen brine shrimp is junk but at least is usually quickly accepted and a good way to get fish to start eating.  Once you get them to start eating one food you can then start to mix in pellets/mysis, etc. 

I would be concerned if they were feeding pellets at the LFS and the fish is spitting them out.  Just because they were feeding doesn't mean he/she has been eating :).   Not necessarily a big deal, but I would be diligent in finding something they will eat fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

my clown fish is eating!! :happydance:  He actually picked little pieces of the mysis shrimp up off the floor.  My yellow clown goby came out and looked interested.  I'm just gonna leave the pump off for a bit.  Maybe the goby is eating, just not in front of me.

• Like 2

figured I would update:

I bought the flake food on Friday and every morning when I turn my lights on, I shut my pump off and feed.  This morning as soon as the lights came on, BOTH my fish came out to feed BEFORE I added the flakes.  Then ate while I was standing right there.  😊

• Like 1