Coral Vue Hydros

Pom pom crab eggs

Ctothemiller

Ctothemiller

I have a pair of pom pom crabs and notice tonight during coral feeding that the female had a clutch of eggs. Any way to raise these little guys pr better off to just leave them as free coral snacks?

20180713_223959.jpg

20180713_223715.jpg

20180713_223607_012.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Their larvae are pelagic, which means super difficult to raise. I'm not sure if it's been done successfully: last time I looked into it it sounded like everyone failed before settlement.

Ctothemiller
1 hour ago, sublunary said:

Their larvae are pelagic, which means super difficult to raise. I'm not sure if it's been done successfully: last time I looked into it it sounded like everyone failed before settlement.

I figured it was one of those things I guess the corals and other inverts will get a nice little snack treat one night here soon😋

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I just saw my pom pom and mine had the same thing! Funny I saw this earlier and I just now fed the tank and saw my crab with the exact same thing. I only have one though so I wonder if they are even fertile.

Ctothemiller
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I just saw my pom pom and mine had the same thing! Funny I saw this earlier and I just now fed the tank and saw my crab with the exact same thing. I only have one though so I wonder if they are even fertile.

Yeah I doubt that they are fertile I also collect praying mantis and they will lay blank egg sacs every so often if there's no male to breed with.

• Thanks 1
Frag Factory

If you want to do this do it in the same way as peppermint shrimp, I imagine they are much the same.

Separate the crab with the eggs, when they drop/hatch move them into a tank with air for movement and feed BBS every few hours.

I feel like that's the best/only way to go.

Most shrimp/crab larvea actually develops in the open ocean in currents. Replicating it can be done but would be very hard. This doesn't mean they can't be raised in a normal tank with the right food.

• Like 3