Top Shelf Aquatics

Fungia plate bleaching

Ctothemiller

Ctothemiller

Got 2 fungias the same day and time and i have one bleaning. The only thing i can think of different is the person at the pet store aggressivly grabbed the orange (dying plate) with tongs droped it twice and wasnt gentle at all. It opened fine the first night. I came home 3 days later from being out of town and had a pet sitter and now my orange plate looks terrible and is bleaching quickly. Any tips.besides feeding mysis to help this guy get back to health and save it from dying? My green plate is loving life and fully inflated and all my other corals fish and inverts are happy as can be. Thanks ahead for any help.

20180708_183722.jpg

20180712_014832.jpg

Ctothemiller

Yes its a fluval 3 (2.6 gallon w mod for added hob fluval 30 filter hooks to a fuge/sump area w small filter pad washed every 4 days) nitrate,nitrtrite, ammonia, are all 0 the ph is at 8.4 sg is  1.025 measures w a refrsctometer.digital thermometer resds 75(night) to 78(daytime).  I do water chages 30 to 40 percent every 6 to 7 days.i dont have calc or alk at the moment as its a newer tank 2 months 3 weeks. I have a cmCUC of blue hermits,bumbkebeesnails, astreas,ceriths,nassariusa. I also have 6 sexy shrimp,a small 2.spot blenny and small clow goby and 2 pom pom crabs and a porcelain crab. Corals are n

On 7/12/2018 at 2:14 AM, banasophia said:

Oh no. 😞  Can you tell us more? Do you know what your tank parameters are at this time? 

Corals are gsp,torch,duncan, and small acan. The green and ora ge are in similar spots and i swapped them when i saw the bleach start. The odd thing is that the green one is thriving like crazy. I havnt fed it much just 1 piece of mysis shrimp. Lighting is the exact same as the fungia directly next to it and neither are touching even though that shouldnt really matter. At night it swells up. But my green one stays swelled w tentacles 24 7

I've read that they can get an infection if an air bubble gets trapped under the plate.  Only thing I can think of other than flow/lighting, especially since the other is doing well.  

It could be from the damage caused from collection, sand on their flesh, improper feeding, too much light, or too much flow.

They can repair themselves and are known to pop a baby out at a last effort to live.

Ctothemiller
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

It could be from the damage caused from collection, sand on their flesh, improper feeding, too much light, or too much flow.

They can repair themselves and are known to pop a baby out at a last effort to live.

Thanks that's what I'm thinking now after i just fed it last night. I fed it some shrimp pellets and mysis last night and it looks like it's already starting to do better in the tentacles are coming out a little bit again.i got my fingered criss cross applsauce it pulls through. Thanks for your help

20180712_150039.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, Ctothemiller said:

Thanks that's what I'm thinking now after i jst fed it last night. I fed it some shrimp pellets and mysis last night and it looks like it's already starting to do better in the tentacles are coming out a little bit again.i got my fingered criss cross applsauce it pulls through. Thanks for your help

They are surprisingly hardy when it comes to recovery.

Ctothemiller
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

They are surprisingly hardy when it comes to recovery.

Thank you and it looks like this one is not doing too bad for the damage it's already started to Puff back up and extend all the tentacles again so hopefully with some light feeding and extra care it'll be back to New within a month. Thanks for your guyses help

• Like 2
Ctothemiller
On 7/12/2018 at 11:17 AM, Clown79 said:

There has been no sand on it from what i have seen and the flow and lighting is the same as the one thrivinh next to it. My only last guess could be that some of the shrimp jumping on it here and there are stressing it out causing it to recess. As of right now I'm going to put my gas on and proper handling whenever they were picking it up at the tongs in the pet store and probably squeeze it too tight causing some flesh to rip. I'm going to start spot feeding it every other day to see if it helps and keep an eye on it to make sure no other creatures steal its food

Just now, Ctothemiller said:

There has been no sand on it from what i have seen and the flow and lighting is the same as the one thrivinh next to it. My only last guess could be that some of the shrimp jumping on it here and there are stressing it out causing it to recess. As of right now I'm going to put my gas on and proper handling whenever they were picking it up at the Tom in the pet store and probably squeeze it too tight causing some flesh to rip. I'm going to start spot feeding it every other day to see if it helps and keep an eye on it to make sure no other creatures steal its food

No to are exactly a like.   I wouldn't assume just because the green one is happy there that the other is as well.  

• Like 1
Ctothemiller
17 minutes ago, specore said:

No to are exactly a like.   I wouldn't assume just because the green one is happy there that the other is as well.  

I understand no two are the same but as the same species they do have similar care. I moved the orange again under an overhang in case it likes less direct light. Its worth a shot since it seems to be happy at night and fully extended.

Ctothemiller
51 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

My orange plate preferred less light than my blue plate.

I'm just seeing that now I moved mine into a cave and it has already opened up. My green one seems to like higher light than the orange one now that I'm noticing that hopefully it makes a quick recovery all the tentacles are already back out. Thanks for all the help.

20180713_175914.jpg

Isn't it the oddest thing? 

I thought to mention it to you as a possibility because I figured out mine liked low light while my blue liked higher light.

Ctothemiller
7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Isn't it the oddest thing? 

I thought to mention it to you as a possibility because I figured out mine liked low light while my blue liked higher light.

It is crazy how drastic and quick the change was here's a picture of it after the lights went out tonight and I gave it some mysis.

20180713_223304.jpg

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Ctothemiller said:

It is crazy how drastic and quick the change was here's a picture of it after the lights went out tonight and I gave it some mysis.

20180713_223304.jpg

That what mine would do. Lights out and it would puff right up.

Ctothemiller
On 7/21/2018 at 7:46 PM, Clown79 said:

How's the plate doing?

Its been doing better with bidaily target feedings until it repairs itself fully.seems.to have done better as well after mounting 2 candy cane frags dirrctly above it to shade it more.

Ctothemiller
On 7/21/2018 at 7:46 PM, Clown79 said:

How's the plate doing?

Its been doing better with bidaily target feedings until it repairs itself fully.seems.to have done better as well after mounting 2 candy cane frags dirrctly above it to shade it more.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:07 AM, 12scanlon said:

Can you post a picture of your whole tank. I’m looking for inspiration because I am starting a 2 to 3 gallon in about a month. Thx 

On 7/25/2018 at 10:07 AM, 12scanlon said:

Can you post a picture of your whole tank. I’m looking for inspiration because I am starting a 2 to 3 gallon in about a month. Thx 

20180717_134145.thumb.jpg.97fadccc94c413480c310404ee4c7597.jpg

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

I was going to comment not to worry. Glad to see it’s recovered for you. I’d definitely see where it puffs up most in the tank based off of lighting.