Top Shelf Aquatics

Hospital 10 gallon tank for juvenile 2" Niger Trigger I need help pls

Nemolover

I set up a new 10 gallon hospital tank yesterday, here are its specs;

1. 50 watt heater

2. whisper 10 filter w/ceramic discs for,"nitrifying bacterial growth"

3. 8.0gallons of catalina pure ocean water

here's my problem , the salinity is 1.027 probably cuz i mixed the pure ocean water w/ some of his tank water from a lfs ph 8.2

0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates

im gonna add some de-chlorinated tap water to it in order to drop the salinity to 1.025 , and yes i introduced him properly so hes adjusted to the 1.027 , my concerns are; is he a hardy fish ?

and can i lower the salinity by add ing freshwater? any comments or useful help would be appreciated. the temp is 79.0 I dont wanna kill my trigger please help me.

the triiger seems to have a small case of ick and im worried about the salinity, Should i just put him in my 55 gallon that has a salinity of 1.020, temp 78.8degrees f, ammonia 0.ppm, nitrites 3.0 ppm, nitrates 1.0 ppm? it also has 10 lbs of live rock and two domino damsel considerably smaller than the trigger this is a fish only tank that is 9 days old with every aquarium accs. any response would be helpful thnks.

keep him in the hospital, triggers are nearly bulletproof, so dont worry too much, i would use some copper meds, make sure to follow the instructions and i would definitely put him in the bigger tank after all is said and done. he can get well over a foot in length, and likes room to swim.

i'd just try the hyposalinity first, then copper if symptoms persist. copper is very toxic and will pretty much wipe out your fish's immune system leaving it succeptible to other illnesses. you should really only use it as a last resort. but like pyrrhus said, they're tough fish, i'm sure it will be fine.

Archived