inTank Media Baskets

Is ROX 0.8 to strong?

Thomas01

I'm putting together a 20 gallon reef tank with a small reactor. I want to use ROX 0.8 but I keep hearing horror stories of ROX 0.8 being to strong. I've also heard I should just use a bag of Clear FX Pro in the reactor. Thoughts?

https://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_GFO_Phosban_Reactor_150-Two_Little_Fishies-TL4311-FIFRISPR-vi.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/Blue_Life_USA_Clear_Fx_Pro_Carbon_Replacements_Resin_Chemical_Filter_Media-Blue_Life_USA-BL00362-FIFMCHRM-vi.html

I run rox .8 in my tank and have been since the beginning of the tank. I don't use a reactor though, just a mesh bag. Haven't noticed any problems related to it and I am getting good growth.

On 7/4/2018 at 8:56 PM, Thomas01 said:

I want to use ROX 0.8 but I keep hearing horror stories of ROX 0.8 being to strong.

What stories?  Was it used with intense lighting and after the water had yellowed significantly?

On 7/4/2018 at 8:56 PM, Thomas01 said:

I've also heard I should just use a bag of Clear FX Pro in the reactor.

This is basically a combination of activated carbon, Phosguard, and Purigen.  You may or may not want to use a phosphate reducing media.  I actually prefer to use separate products versus a blended product like ChemiPure or Clear Fx Pro.  It lets you replace each element when you want, determine the ratio of each, and better control the level of phosphate.  As far as a reactor is concerned, these products can be effectively used in a high flow area (like a power filter or AIO chamber).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, seabass said:

What stories?  Was it used with intense lighting and after the water had yellowed significantly?

This is basically a combination of activated carbon, Phosguard, and Purigen.  You may or may not want to use a phosphate reducing media.  I actually prefer to use separate products versus a blended product like ChemiPure or Clear Fx Pro.  It lets you replace each element when you want, determine the ratio of each, and better control the level of phosphate.  As far as a reactor is concerned, these products can be effectively used in a high flow area (like a power filter or AIO chamber).

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rox-0-8-carbon-w-corals.269981/ (Thats a link to another thread some stories)

I see.  Some of the posts were from people who thought they might try stopping use, to see if they notice any improvements.  Other people seemed to like it, and use it without problems.  And sure, a couple people seemed to attribute its use to problems they had.  There are several factors which might have contributed:

• Amount used (I always recommend using less than recommended)
  • Using a reactor, versus passive filtering (a reactor will make it filter more intensely)
  • Does the carbon tumble? (no brand of activated carbon is designed to tumble)
  • Carbon fines (activated carbon must first be rinsed; plus, downstream mechanical filtration is a good idea)
  • Water clarity before use (a sudden increase in clarity can cause light shock)
  • DOCs before use (a sudden decline of dissolved organics might have a noticeable effect, especially with low nutrient levels)
  • Feeding routine (increased feeding might help with the decrease in organic compounds)

I believe ROX 0.8 can be used safely.  But if you have any concerns, choose a different brand.  Seachem's Matrix Carbon is a good choice (I mix in a little Phosguard if phosphate starts to creep up).

• Thanks 1