ReefCleaners.org

Mixing Different Breeds

Thomas01

Is it a good idea to mix two different breeds of the same fish? For example a Black and White Clownfish with a Caramel Clownfish or a Blue Reef Chromis with a Black Axil Chromis. Any help would be great and thank you in advanced!

It really depends on what species of fish you are dealing with.  Caramel clowns are just an ocellaris clown, so should be fine with other ocellaris clowns.  At the same time it probably wouldn't play well with maroons or clarkii's.  

Generally speaking, most marine fish do best singly.  I would think mixing the chromis wouldn't be a great idea either, but I'm not for sure.  

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, specore said:

It really depends on what species of fish you are dealing with.  Caramel clowns are just an ocellaris clown, so should be fine with other ocellaris clowns.  At the same time it probably wouldn't play well with maroons or clarkii's.  

Generally speaking, most marine fish do best singly.  I would think mixing the chromis wouldn't be a great idea either, but I'm not for sure.  

Thank you, I want to keep my tank diverse and in hindsight 2 Chromis probably wouldn't be good.

3 minutes ago, 1.0reef said:

Depends on the variants and/or species you want to mix and what setup they’ll be going in.

I'm putting together my first tank! I was thinking a 20 gallon IM tank, i'm still working out some details, however I've been doing research for the past two months now and i'm getting close to purchasing. I was thinking about adding two clowns in after the cycle because they are hardy.   

RIP Sebastian

As the resident clown nut, I'll explain a few things. Ocellaris and Perculas mix quite easily with each other. I actually have an occy/perc pair. My big lady is an onyx perc and her hubby is a misbar domino occy. You have to be careful with the other kinds, though. Don't mix clarkiis with tomatoes or skunks. Basically, if it's not an occy or perc, don't mix them. I am also against the chromis. Chromis are another kind of damsels, just like clowns, so mixing them wouldn't be a great idea. Let me know if you have any more questions!

-Nick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

As the resident clown nut, I'll explain a few things. Ocellaris and Perculas mix quite easily with each other. I actually have an occy/perc pair. My big lady is an onyx perc and her hubby is a misbar domino occy. You have to be careful with the other kinds, though. Don't mix clarkiis with tomatoes or skunks. Basically, if it's not an occy or perc, don't mix them. I am also against the chromis. Chromis are another kind of damsels, just like clowns, so mixing them wouldn't be a great idea. Let me know if you have any more questions!

-Nick

Don't mix two Chromis or don't mix Clowns with Chromis? Also, thank you, that was very helpful!

RIP Sebastian
1 minute ago, Thomas01 said:

Don't mix two Chromis or don't mix Clowns with Chromis? Also, thank you, that was very helpful!

Both.

• Thanks 1

My clown got after my chromis pretty often for the first few weeks.  She seems to have accepted the chromis now and is more interested in attacking me every time I reach into the tank.  

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Both.

What fish would you recommend to pair with clownfish, a basslet or firefish perhaps?

10 minutes ago, Thomas01 said:

What fish would you recommend to pair with clownfish, a basslet or firefish perhaps?

I think either would work, although the basslets would hold their own a little better than a firefish.  Something like a hawkfish would be a good option as well.   

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, specore said:

I think either would work, although the basslets would hold their own a little better than a firefish.  Something like a hawkfish would be a good option as well.   

I thought hawkfish weren't reef safe and a bit aggressive.

I thought hawkfish weren't reef safe and a bit aggressive.

Not safe with shrimp.  Other than that they are pretty peaceful.  My longnose doesn't bother anything in my tank.  

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, specore said:

Not safe with shrimp.  Other than that they are pretty peaceful.  My longnose doesn't bother anything in my tank.  

I kinda want a cleaner shrimp, However I really like the way the Flame Hawkfish looks. What about a flame angel?

I kinda want a cleaner shrimp, However I really like the way the Flame Hawkfish looks. What about a flame angel?

They are iffy on reef safe.  Most do ok, some can wreak havoc.  The atlantic pygmy and african flameback are the angels best suited to nano reefs. Still no guarantee they won't nip at corals, but I've had a couple and never had an issue.  Plus they stay a little smaller than the flame angels.  

• Thanks 1
Just now, specore said:

They are iffy on reef safe.  Most do ok, some can wreak havoc.  The atlantic pygmy and african flameback are the angels best suited to nano reefs. Still no guarantee they won't nip at corals, but I've had a couple and never had an issue.  Plus they stay a little smaller than the flame angels.  

Do hawkfish nip corals? Iv'e heard once a fish gets a taste for coral it's bad. What would be a good replacement for the cleaner shrimp if I were to get a hawkfish?

5 minutes ago, Thomas01 said:

Do hawkfish nip corals? Iv'e heard once a fish gets a taste for coral it's bad. 

Not that I've heard of.  

• Thanks 1