Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gobies in Hex?

Gobydude777

Well, I trashed the 20 G idea in favor of a smaller nano. It will be a 5-7 gallon Hex with AC Fuge, PC lighting, and aquascaped to showcase softies and LPS. There will only be enough room for 2-3 small fish and I'd like to keep different types of gobies. One type is a shrimp goby, any favs./recomendations? I will also buy a pistol shrimp.(Hopefully they will pair up.) Would a Rainford or Neon be better as the other fish choice?

Yasha haze gobies are really good looking as well as watchmans. I actually havent seen a shrimp goby that is not good looking, they are all cool.

Neon and clown gobies would be the other choises for me

i like my hi fin red banded goby, and green clown goby, and they aren't as expensive as a yasha, i have a yellow watchmen on the way also with a pistol shrimp, then the next thing are my corals, it has taken me forever to get my lights i am going with the 96watt coral life 20 inch to go on top of my 10 gal nano my fav tank i have ever owned so far, u could also go with some neon gobys but those guys are really tiny i didn't really like them

flickj79, you are mixing shrimp gobies? I have heard of this being done but don't know how difficult it is. It seems that it is easier to mix Stonogobiops with the more commonly seen watchmans. YWG's seem pretty friendly. I was looking at HFRB's,(you mean S. nematodes, right?) they seem like a nice alternative to the uber-cool but uber-expensive Yasha's. Is it true that Stonogobiop's do better in pairs? Also, any info on Rainford's? I want something that would keep the upper water level busy.

goby dude been doing some research! :happy:

hey bro most gobies are peaceful. you should have no problem with them killing one another.

watchman and signal pretty much leave eachother alone unless you get a couple freaks like mine. (i'll enclose a pic of the mated "pair")

signals gobies will accomadate eachother very well even the same species.

watchmans do well with other watchmans of diffrent species or atleast diffrent sex.

cleaner gobies do extremely well in schools. think 10 or 12 neon gobies on a school. that would be pimptastic. B)

other gobies lke jaw fish don't seem to be to agressive. (never kept one... yet ;) )

oh and dart fish (also gobies) commonly know as fire fish are some of the most beautiful fish i have ever seen. especially the helfritch. (i think i spelled that right) but these guys are peaceful and also school as well.

my lil bro has a school of 3 baby engineer gobies in his tank. pretty aswome to look at. hated to rain on his parade when i told him they'd all have to go back soon when they get to be a foot to two feet long. :D

hope that help. if you have any more species specific questions feel free to email me.

sorry the pic wont post here's and older pic

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...?threadid=36442

^agree on that neon gobies school but not firefish. They school for defence when young but kill each other when adults. Oh yeah and jawfish are no gobies :D but you can keep more than one ;)

Thanks guys, I think I'll try to put a High-Fin and a YWG together. If that dosn't float over I'll save up for a Yasha. I think I will go with a neon. I might put in a Black Perc. if its at least 10 gallons, but a helfrichs would be cooler. Yaha+Helfrichs in same tank= SWEET!!! But one small problem.... :bling:

yeah dude much problem.... never enough money

on the fire fish killing eachother.... i dunno about that one....

i've got a buddy with 6 in and 80 and they school. they do have a definate pecking order though...... i'll see if he can send me some pics. also i have two books that say the school..... so i'm assuming his isn't a fluk like my YWG and red banded hifin

Yeah, I've been thinking 'bout that. Probly stick with the shrimp goby and a Firefish, or, I could go to a 15 gallon and throw in a neon. Although the tank would definitely feature inverts, one or two rare or beatiful fish make it an overall more interesting display.

this is what I have in the 10 gallon so far,

no corals, hurry up lights and get here I am tired of waiting

15 lbs of Fiji live rock

20 lbs of aragonite reef sand

1 green clown

1 hi fin red banded

2 peppermint shrimp

2 blue legged hermit crabs

1 baby snail have no clue of what he is just saw it on the glass tonight, it must've came free with the liverock

1 what they called at the lfs an atlantic snail I forgot the name of it I did look it up but cannot remember

1 yellow watchmen, well not yet still waiting on that too

1 pistol shrimp, still waiting on this too

Originally posted by offsprg01

yeah dude much problem.... never enough money

on the fire fish killing eachother.... i dunno about that one....

i've got a buddy with 6 in and 80 and they school. they do have a definate pecking order though...... i'll see if he can send me some pics. also i have two books that say the school..... so i'm assuming his isn't a fluk like my YWG and red banded hifin

Your friend probably have juveniles, they will not continue to school when they are old enough.

The books might be old or just like some of my books they are giving wrong information but schooling is not adult firefishs' natural behaviour.

my buddy has adult fiore fish as he's had them over a year.

as for the books one is kinda old and the other is only a year or so old.

where did you get you information on no schooling fire fish? i'd like to look in to that.

You can search the net or especially forums such as reefcentral.com for this. Do they swim around together always? They usually own 20gal territory and this maybe the reason why they are not killing eah other yet but they are definately not a natural schooling fish.

Archived