Cultivated Reef

Can I cure dry rock with AquaStik Underwater Epoxy Putty

WARGOreef

Hello,

So I'm starting a new tank and will be starting the curing process for my dry Reef Rock 2.1

Can I cure dry rock that has AquaStik Underwater Epoxy Putty or any other putty attached to them or should I wait until after the curing process to use it to connect rocks?

• Like 1

The epoxy tends to work best when the rock is dry and it is allowed to cure before getting it wet.  It should not affect the cycling process.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If you want a good epoxy to use out of water, try reef welder.

Interesting.  I haven't seen that one before.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, seabass said:

Interesting.  I haven't seen that one before.

It's great stuff. I used it when I did my transfer. 

Now under water it wasn't the greatest as you need to work fast but out of water it was great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, WARGOreef said:

Hello,

So I'm starting a new tank and will be starting the curing process for my dry Reef Rock 2.1

Can I cure dry rock that has AquaStik Underwater Epoxy Putty or any other putty attached to them or should I wait until after the curing process to use it to connect rocks?

Yes, you can safely start the curing process with dry rock that you've epoxied together. As others have mentioned, it would be best to epoxy the rocks together while they are dry and out of the tank. Then let the epoxy cure to ensure a strong bond. Then start your tank cycle. 

This has nothing to do with affecting water water quality or anything like that, rather the epoxy will cure better and have a stronger, more secure hold if the process is done dry and allowed time to cure before getting wet.

• Thanks 1
Five.five-six

I know there are cheeper alternatives to aquastick at Home Depot but I use aquastick anyways.  

I combine aquastick with IC gell (it’s gooey super glue)

I apply IC gell to the rock in my hand where I’m going to apply the epoxy, then I make a good sized divot in the epoxy where it’s going to attach to the rock in the watter and fill that divot with IC gell.  

Works great! But I always end up with white crusty super glue fingers.   

Thank you everyone for your advice! Rocks are curing and I used the reef welder pellets to bond the scape and it was so easy!!!

no glue on my fingers or smelly epoxy mixing!

• Like 1