Coral Vue Hydros

Petco sux

tommy

I went to petco tonight to get my first fish, a percula clownfish, and I go there and see a black voliotan lionfish and a hippo tang in a 10 gallon tank!!! The lionfish was lying in the corner, looked like it was going to die. I thought these fish would have to live in a 50 or 75 gallon tank, at least! Also, something else that ####es me off is that ALL the saltwater tanks have disgusting diatom blooms. I bet all these fish will die and I suggest NEVER to buy saltwaterfish from them again. Does anyone have bad experiences with them too, or am I the only one?

Uhhhhh DUDE there is already a HUGE thread on it by CJM or DJM en titled Whats wrong with fish from Pet Co.

For some reason It doesnt come up when I do a search CHRIS ! FIX THE DAMN SEARCH FUNCTION ! IT SUX.

and yeah Pet NO sux. at least 12 out of the 15 ive been in have.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

For some reason It doesnt come up when I do a search CHRIS ! FIX  THE DAMN SEARCH FUNCTION ! IT SUX.  

Dude. Alteast show some form of respect. Chris puts inn enough hours of hard work as it is and I'm surprised he hasn't just given up. Especially when people like you show no gratitude towards him at all.

However if you meant it as a joke then ignore what I said. IF you did then atleast show it with a smilie or something.

Kyle

I bought my clownfish from PetCo and I love them! (I even got one of them on sale for 12 bucks... :) )

But yeah, most of their SW tanks look horrific.. I would never purchase any of their other SW fishes.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

Uhhhhh DUDE there is already a HUGE thread on it by CJM or DJM en titled Whats wrong with fish from Pet Co.

For some reason It doesnt come up when I do a search CHRIS ! FIX  THE DAMN SEARCH FUNCTION ! IT SUX.  

and yeah Pet NO sux.  at least 12 out of the 15 ive been in have.

The search function works fine... and Chris works hard enough of the scripts on this site. Try any other forum using PHP... this is the fastest one.

;)

The problem w/ Petco is that the local guys have virtually no say about what fish they're sent to try to sell. So it really depends on how good the fish department manager is. Locally, I have one "good" Petco and one "bad" Petco.

Question: have any of you ever seen an LFS that doesn't overcrowd their sw stock?

I have found my local PetCo to actually be decent. I bought my ocellaris clowns there (even if they were incorrectly labelled as percula clowns).

As for the fish in the wrong-sized tanks.... Fish stores are there to sell fish, not keep them long term. Yes, that hippo tang was probably miserable in there. But you think that's bad, go check out the wholesalers that all the LFSes buy their stock from. 4" tangs in 2.5gal tanks. 30 ocellaris in a single 20g.

Of course the fish aren't happy. But they'll deal for a short while.

Not to claim that PetCo runs a knowledgable operation.... when I bought my clowns, the kid who was bagging them didn't think he put enough water in the bag. So he went over to the saltwater vending tank, which is room temperature, and added 100% more water to the bag. I wanted to beat him silly.

However, I still buy fish from PetCo, because they're one of the few outfits that buys fish from ORA Farms, and I can often find any type of tank-raised clown that I want, at a very reasonable price. I just make sure they're healthy and eating before I buy them.

Matthew

harbingerofthefish
Originally posted by gobies

Question: have any of you ever seen an LFS that doesn't overcrowd their sw stock?

well I guess the good thing about where I live is that petsmart(same same) doesn't do saltwater. The couple of smaller stores around me don't over stock their salt tanks. Not to say that that some of the fish don't belong in the tanks they keep them in, but in tose cases it's usually just that fish by itself.

Originally posted by tashayar

The Petco in Wausau doesn't seem half as bad as the fish section of nearly any Wal-Mart I've ever been in.

Tasha

Your Wal-Mart sells SW fish?!?

Ours sells FW only, and it's usually sailfin molly corpses or backfloating bubble eye goldfish.X)

This little island doesn't even have a Petco for me to complain about.:*(

CHris KNOWS Im kidding... I was just wondering why when I searched it only pulled up like 2 months worth of threads. Perhaps it was a software issue... AND yeah the search works quick cause there is not a million threads/ responses here yet. Im fully aware of how the "search" function works... I'd be stupid of me to yell at people if I DIDNT know..... I am just agervated cause a LOT of the good threads are not comming up under a few key word searches... thats all. So pipe down in the peanut gallery.. or Ill sick the Elephants on ya ! :rolleyes:

Harbringer, the one in Ramsey NJ is under stocked as is Ocean Aquarium /Reef in Atlantic City. as long as the systems are able to handle the bioload, there is not an issue as long as the fish are not stressed... but YES there are a LOT of stores that over-crowd.

In BC we have these same type stores except they're called "petcetera" The one in kelowna has never cleaned the tanks and there is an oily scum that resides at the top of each tank. There are dead fish is every subsection of the tank and there is a 1/4 inch layer of crap on the top of the gravel. I've sent emails complaining about the conditions of their tanks to their head office but have never recieved a response. It's unfortunate because i've been inside other petcetera stores and their tanks are immaculate and their staff knowledgable.

Originally posted by Fender963

Dude.  Alteast show some form of respect.  Chris puts inn enough hours of hard work as it is and I'm surprised he hasn't just given up.  Especially when people like you show no gratitude towards him at all.

Kyle

See, you need to get used to dave and your posts. He offers help but in a lot of cases he is very rude and offers nothing but sentences full of immaturity. He criticizes people of unintentional poor fishkeeping yet he has a man getting beat under his name. See I come on here for help, and end up with dave replies of nothing except criticism. I think he has a big head and likes to laugh at newbies in the hobby. Respect is something he doesn't have.

"He criticizes people of unintentional poor fishkeeping yet he has a man getting beat under his name. See I come on here for help, and end up with dave replies of nothing except criticism"

just remember there's thousands of people on this site to help, and one clever one, anyway its pretty petty when a guy has to use a "tool" to defend himself, get a decent avitar.

Also when he has a problem just think how small he'll feel to ask for advice. (oh, and it will happen)

i've no time and efforts for "mickey takers",

we all seek advice, and that's all,

cheers,

lee :) :)

Archived