Pod Your Reef

Tigertail cucumber, I think?

toddrparr

I picked up an interesting hitchhiker on a piece of live rock. After a bit of google image searching, I think it is a tigertail cucumber. Pretty excited about it. I have a 32 gallon biocube and assuming the little guy can make it through the cycle, can I keep it in a tank of this size? I attached a picture... not great, the thing is maybe 3 inches long. 75993DC0-B0EF-46C4-85DD-9700C282A229.thumb.jpeg.67a1dd93bdb765c6baa570b7c8bd145c.jpeg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, toddrparr said:

I picked up an interesting hitchhiker on a piece of live rock. After a bit of google image searching, I think it is a tigertail cucumber. Pretty excited about it. I have a 32 gallon biocube and assuming the little guy can make it through the cycle, can I keep it in a tank of this size? I attached a picture... not great, the thing is maybe 3 inches long. 75993DC0-B0EF-46C4-85DD-9700C282A229.thumb.jpeg.67a1dd93bdb765c6baa570b7c8bd145c.jpeg

You should be fine.

I had one in my 12 Gallon that shriveled up and died and I didn’t even know till I found it’s sad body...... it didn’t poison my tank.  I would just keep an eye on your levels which you should be doing anyway in a new tank. 

• Like 1

Cool!  I was told in another post that they keep your sand squeeky clean.

Taken from LA.com:

For best care, the Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber should be kept in larger systems with thick sand beds and rocky caves for shelter. The natural diet of the Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber consists of diatoms, microalgae, bacteria, meaty foods, and other detritus.

I was also told that it reproduces by splitting so when it does you can trade-in/sell/give away the larger one.

I think I'd take one of those guys over all the creepy bristleworms living in my firefish's cave. 

• Like 1

Tiger tails are great cucumbers to have, but IMO if you are starting your cycle you should put it in a friends tank or have an LFS hold it for you or something because chances are it won't survive, will die in your rocks where you can't see or get to it and make your cycle longer while it slowly degrades.

That and why kill a cool creature.  

They CAN get big and they split to reproduce,  Eventually you will probably want to fish him out when he gets huge and trade him off for credit or something, or if he hasn't split and made smaller ones then trade for a smaller one.  

Also, early on in your tank you miht not have enough food in your sand to keep him alive and if the cycle doesn't kill him, starvation will after a month.