SaltCritters.com

Are shrimp crab-murderers or not?

anniebanana267

anniebanana267

I wanted to get a shrimp, whether it be a cleaner shrimp or another type, but I’ve heard some mixed stories of them killing hermit crabs. I obviously don’t want that. If anyone has any more input on that topic I’d appreciate any help. Thanks.

It depends on the shrimp. Mantis shrimp... maybe not. Cleaner shrimp... not a problem. Sexy shrimp... ok. Harlequin Shrimp... you probably have other problems. Cocktail Shrimp... yum. 

It also depends on the type of hermit crabs and their size. 

Probably need some more information. 

• Haha 3
anniebanana267
53 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

It depends on the shrimp. Mantis shrimp... maybe not. Cleaner shrimp... not a problem. Sexy shrimp... ok. Harlequin Shrimp... you probably have other problems. Cocktail Shrimp... yum. 

It also depends on the type of hermit crabs and their size. 

Probably need some more information. 

😂

i have 1 big blue legs, 1 big thin-stripe, 1 polka dot, 1 medium sized blue leg, then like 4 other little blue legs.

Thanks for the info 🙂

Hermits won't be able to catch a healthy shrimp.  The exception might be when the shrimp is molting but they usually don't care about that anyway.

Most shrimp wont mess with crabs either, except specific ones like Mantis shrimp (which are not even shrimp, and require special tank setups anyway), coral banded shrimp are notoriously territorial and snail/fish/other things killers.  

Cleaner/Fire shrimp are OK

Sexy shrimp are OK

Smaller pistol shrimp can be OK depending on specific species.  Depending on grain size of your crushed coral you might not have proper substrate for one though.

Camel shrimp (hinged beak shrimp) would be safe with them

Anemone shrimp or other species of cleaner shrimp would be ok

Harlequin shrimp would be OK but require an expensive specific diet of sea stars

Pretty much all shrimp (and inverts in general) have some sort of issues with something, like coral, for example. So make sure you research the exact one you are looking at for its incompatibilities.  

• Like 1
anniebanana267
4 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Hermits won't be able to catch a healthy shrimp.  The exception might be when the shrimp is molting but they usually don't care about that anyway.

Most shrimp wont mess with crabs either, except specific ones like Mantis shrimp (which are not even shrimp, and require special tank setups anyway), coral banded shrimp are notoriously territorial and snail/fish/other things killers.  

Cleaner/Fire shrimp are OK

Sexy shrimp are OK

Smaller pistol shrimp can be OK depending on specific species.  Depending on grain size of your crushed coral you might not have proper substrate for one though.

Camel shrimp (hinged beak shrimp) would be safe with them

Anemone shrimp or other species of cleaner shrimp would be ok

Harlequin shrimp would be OK but require an expensive specific diet of sea stars

Pretty much all shrimp (and inverts in general) have some sort of issues with something, like coral, for example. So make sure you research the exact one you are looking at for its incompatibilities.  

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely start researching 🙂

1 hour ago, mndfreeze said:

Bro's belong on death row. You stay away from muh shrimps

Oh, I have shrimp. I’m having shrimp for dinner tonight. Only place those ####ers are any good is on my plate. So I say to all useless shrimp n crabs...

DD63FC16-8F3F-4346-9932-8A8E06CC86FA.gif

I've never  had a cleaner shrimp kill a crab or vice versa.

considering sources and what they witnessed in their tank was a shrimp/crab cleaning up an already dead crab/shrimp...which is their purpose.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I've never  had a cleaner shrimp kill a crab or vice versa.

considering sources and what they witnessed in their tank was a shrimp/crab cleaning up an already dead crab/shrimp...which is their purpose.

Butbutbut, in the wild cleaner shrimp are cleaners of fish and opportunistic feeders so they’ll dig down deep into that plate coral’s mouth for a bit of food. Same with crabs, except the useful cleaner part. 

Those ####ers will lie, cheat, steal, and kill for a morsel of food. Kinda like republicans for a vote. 

• Haha 1