Cultivated Reef

South African SPS dominant 60L / 15gal tank

Marine Tank Journey

Marine Tank Journey

Hi reefers, 

I would like some much needed advice regarding a new project that I would like to take on. A 60L/15gal SPS dominated reef tank, without a sump. I am fully aware that it is possible, I have seen it so many times on this forum. I am also fully aware that it takes hard work, I am willing to do all of it. 

So basically all I have at this stage is the tank (glass box that is 61cm across the display, 32.5cm wide and 30.5cm tall).

Us as South Africa hobbyists do not seem to push boundaries as much as our international friends and this is the reason that I want to do this (besides absolutely loving the hobby!)

Could someone with a similar size system please advise me on exactly what they have done/would do to make this system a reality? from the salt they would use to filtration and everything in-between. Oh, and I am liking the idea of a bare bottom.....

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.  I'd recommend finding a similar tank build in the aquarium journals and ask them some specific questions.

However, to get things started...

7 hours ago, Marine Tank Journey said:

please advise me on exactly what they have done/would do to make this system a reality? from the salt they would use to filtration and everything in-between. Oh, and I am liking the idea of a bare bottom

The folks here in the U.S. need a better idea of what's available.  Then we can help you choose.

You'll need a decent pump, maybe a hang on back filter, a heater, live rock, ...

Maybe you can start your own journal and ask questions there.

• 2 weeks later...
Marine Tank Journey

Thank you for the advice seabass. Its much appreciated. I have some great ideas and will be sure to start a journal with ALL the information

• Like 1