ReefCleaners.org

Re-scaping a growing tank

mitten_reef

mitten_reef

Like title says, how would one go about a little bit of a renovation?

here is how things look right now. 

41604028305_96a135b349_b.jpg

Ideally want to move/remove the shelving green monti without affecting the other two. Also have two stubborn BTAs on the same monti rock could use relocation. 

What tool/method would ppl suggest?

mitten_reef

So here’s a slightly better look of how things are looking. The monti Island is a single large piece of rock. 

As far as the approach, thinking of drilling and making holes along the base of the green monti shelf and hopefully it will break off easily.  Would that be the best approach?  I wanna take the monti down because I wanna put an acro there instead. That would then require BTAs removal also.  One nem in the front view and one right behind the green shelf monti. 

P6080044

mitten_reef

3 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

I would add some rock to bring up some of the SPS, that are sitting on the sand, closer to the top.

Thanks!  That was the end goal. Getting more room in the mid-to-high portion of the tank.  And possibly go with more substantial two islands look with more open sandbed, or a three smaller islands/pillars look. But right now those three monti’s are taking up a lot of room so I’m ready to sacrifice one. 

Putting all SPS up on the rockscape, then have low-lying zoa garden(s) and ric garden covering areas on the sand. 

Edited by micoastreefing