inTank Media Baskets

Online Fish Sources

McGene

I currently live in a rather isolated area of central FL -- thus, few really great LFS available.  Looks like I will have to rely largely on online suppliers of fish and coral.

QuestionWhat sources have you used that you were completely satisfied with and would recommend?

Thanks for your time to reply.

-gene

Kellie in CA

I had good experiences with both Legendary Corals and Aqua SD.  However, since you are in FL you will probably want to find some vendors within the state so you can get cheaper shipping.  I know there are quite a few.  I'm sure someone will chime in. 

Fish:

1. Divers Den - WYSIWYG fish - best guarantee - refunds your money instead of just store credit

2. Live Aquaria - same guarantee as above but without all the extra care as DD fish - fish from ORA on this website ship directly from ORA which is AWESOME as you are cutting out the middle man (LFS) which cuts down stress and fish aren't exposed to other wild fish.

No particular order for me:

- Fish directly from the collecter/diver like KPA Aquatics and caribbean_fish_collectors - again, cutting out middle man which means healthier fish in general

- Some coral venders have a small but healthy stock of fish like Unique Corals or Pacific East Aquaculture - worth looking into if you are putting in a coral order anyways - less fish = less disease coming through and better care overall.

- Bluezoo - same fish quality of Live Aquaria - store credit if something dies - good for rare fish at times

Ones I havn't tried but heard good things about:

-Zoa Collector and NYAquatic

I ordered one fish from AquariumDepot awhile ago - DOA and poorly packaged, I do not recommend fish from them at all.

Coral:

Legendary Coral - awesome!

Cultivated Reef - awesome!

I bought a clam from Salt Critters and Pacific East Aquaculture and both were great.

Other sponsors here are worth checking out too.

• Like 1

Where about in Florida? There's a ton of great LFS's in the outskirts of Tampa. Also, Reef-a-Palooza in Orlando is a great chance to pick up really cool corals for pretty cheap.

I used BlueZoo for my circus and citron gobies that I was having a difficult time sourcing from other places and I've been very happy with them.  Both arrived in great condition with an acclimation kit and some stress-relieving stuff.  14-day guarantee on most fish. 

First, thanks for the excellent responses.  I have bookmarked many of the sites mentioned here.

Falcooo:  I'm just outside Ocala -- I do go to Tampa fairly often -- any specific recommendations for a visit would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-gene

Bluezoo did an amazing job 8 years ago when I started a mantis tank.  Waited for months for them to get the species of Mantis I wanted in stock, packaging was top notch, the acclimation kit was great even though I didn't need it as I had a better one.  Worth the extra money I paid for Googly the Ternatensis mantis. 

On 6/8/2018 at 4:54 PM, McGene said:

First, thanks for the excellent responses.  I have bookmarked many of the sites mentioned here.

Falcooo:  I'm just outside Ocala -- I do go to Tampa fairly often -- any specific recommendations for a visit would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-gene

Yes, absolutely. If you’re in Tampa, Marine Warehouse is great!!! Or a little farther south on Dale Mabry is another place, I forget the name, but they’ve got a lot of corals and for very fair prices. Lately I’ve been going to A Tropical Reef, just because it’s closer to St.Pete where I live.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by Marine Warehouse today. Nice selection and fair prices. Tank is not yet cycled so no purchases just yet but nice to see my options. They claim they quarantine their fish. Failed to ask how long. Like most stores they run their tanks bare so the can medicate everything. 

On 6/8/2018 at 4:54 PM, McGene said:

Thanks,

-gene

If you're ever in the Orlando area be sure to check out Living Reef as well as WWC! Both are awesome stores professionally maintained.

On 6/23/2018 at 7:14 PM, McGene said:

Stopped by Marine Warehouse today. Nice selection and fair prices. Tank is not yet cycled so no purchases just yet but nice to see my options. They claim they quarantine their fish. Failed to ask how long. Like most stores they run their tanks bare so the can medicate everything. 

From my experiences at MW, they're really stand up people. A purple firefish I had purchased initially died within a couple of days and they credited me the money back no questions asked, and since I purchased more than the $ returned, they even gave me a really nice hook up on the rest of the supplies and corals I had picked up.

4 hours ago, shoonjai said:

If you're ever in the Orlando area be sure to check out Living Reef as well as WWC! Both are awesome stores professionally maintained.

Oooo WWC is in Orlando??? I didn't realize that. Good to know! I went out to Orlando for Reef-a-Palooza a few months back and will definitely be going back next year.

1 hour ago, falcooo said:

Oooo WWC is in Orlando??? I didn't realize that. Good to know! I went out to Orlando for Reef-a-Palooza a few months back and will definitely be going back next year.

Yep! It's in Orlando down OBT! I lived in Orlando for 12 years and just moved up to the Ocala area for work a couple months ago. Very disappointed in the selection (lack of) of LFSs. I stopped by the one I pass everyday on my way to work today and was pretty disappointed. They're the "premiere" store too.

Living Reef and WWC are worth the hour and a half drive back whenever I wanna pick some stuff up. 

• 4 months later...

I decided to visit WWC in Orlando. Wow!  I was like a kid in a candy store. 

I have also visited the two stores in Ocala. While their size and offering can't compete with WWC, the staff is very accommodating and will get anything you want. 

I guess the hobby is just not large enough in this area to justify more stores or large inventory. 

• 2 months later...

Heard WWC will be relocating this summer.  Moving their show room to the location where the grow their corals. Still in Orlando. 

Hoping there will be a big sale just before the move!