ReefCleaners.org

White stringy stuff

mpugh

23 hours ago, mpugh said:

Does anyone know what this stringy stuff is? 

I removed some earlier when I cleaned the tank, but it seems to be back

85297B99-D022-4BE0-B585-1E430C9AAAD8.jpeg

046C9898-9AF0-4F92-914B-E90261AE451D.jpeg

Looks like coral slime. Most Corals will “slime” when touched or disturbed. Some do it to collect “food”. 

Do you have a pic of the brown stuff?  

2 minutes ago, mpugh said:

These were taken just now

4402F682-F185-4DA8-B623-7FB65D2BE6D1.jpeg

5A658E02-AB91-4CCF-B123-B010083AC939.jpeg

EE107587-24EC-4992-8F64-FBE604C098C4.jpeg

Well, it doesn’t look great. Does it blow off? Any chance it’s algae clinging to it?

2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Well, it doesn’t look great. Does it blow off? Any chance it’s algae clinging to it?

No it doesn’t blow off. 

I did remove some when I cleaned the tank yesterday, but it came back in the night. I may move it back to where I originally placed it, it also doesn’t look anywhere near as healthy as when I first bought it. 

758F7756-7D42-4AF7-A011-3CFA4FBAFD43.jpeg

• Like 1

The coral looks to be dying. It needs lower light and decent flow. It should be on the left or right side of your tank, never in the middle toward the front (I can't tell were it is).  Do you know what your parameters are and how stable they are?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, markalot said:

The coral looks to be dying. It needs lower light and decent flow. It should be on the left or right side of your tank, never in the middle toward the front (I can't tell were it is).  Do you know what your parameters are and how stable they are?

That’s where it was originally, I shall move it back after I write this. 

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Kh - 10.9

Calcium - 390

SG - 1.026

everytime I test these params don’t change, I also don’t know why my Nitrates are 0. I do a 20% w/c every week and I use salifert test kits and mix my own water

tank has been set up for 6 months 

Calcium is fine, don't fret over calcium UNLESS you are dosing Alkalinity only.  If doing water changes then you're seeing the salt balance combined with testing errors.  If you are dosing the tank then make sure you know what's in it and you use a balance supplement (2 part for Calcium and Alk for example).  Magnesium will also be fine unless you have numerous high demand corals and rarely do water changes.  The fact that Alk is maintained via water changes tells me your usage is very low.  It also tells me you;re using Red Sea Coral Pro since that's the only salt I know of with Alk that ridiculously high.  

The center bottom of the tank is very bright and cyphastrea is notoriously sensitive to conditions it doesn't like.   This is why I say move to the side. 

3 minutes ago, markalot said:

Calcium is fine, don't fret over calcium UNLESS you are dosing Alkalinity only.  If doing water changes then you're seeing the salt balance combined with testing errors.  If you are dosing the tank then make sure you know what's in it and you use a balance supplement (2 part for Calcium and Alk for example).  Magnesium will also be fine unless you have numerous high demand corals and rarely do water changes.  The fact that Alk is maintained via water changes tells me your usage is very low.  It also tells me you;re using Red Sea Coral Pro since that's the only salt I know of with Alk that ridiculously high.  

The center bottom of the tank is very bright and cyphastrea is notoriously sensitive to conditions it doesn't like.   This is why I say move to the side. 

I don’t dose anything. The only other corals I have is some sort of zoa and a torch coral, which seem to be doing fine. 

I am using aqua forest sea salt, it does say that all should be lower than what I have tested, but it isn’t 🤔  I have moved it to roughly 3 inches away from the corner of my tank. It was just below the middle point of my tank (it’s only a small tank). 

17 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Calcium is low IMO and do you test for Magnesium? 

I don’t test for it yet as I need to pick up a test kit

3 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

I stand corrected. I run calcium at 450, alk at 9 and Mag at 1350. 

Yep, nothing wrong with that.   The reason I try and get people away from calcium testing is that you can chase your tail forever.  Boosting Alk reduces calcium, boosting calcium reduces Alk.  Where both end up has everything to do with the salt mix and in the end what your tank water ends up at.   It's critical to always dose both calcium and alk in the same amounts if one needs to dose.  So if one needs to dose and they use 2 part then test Alk and dose both parts based on the Alk measurement, calcium will settle out where it wants to be.  Mag is used slowly and mainly an issue for those of us who rarely do water changes.  I have to dose Mg ever few months in my 150 gallon to keep it in range.  In smaller tanks it's rarely an issue unless you are stocked full of corals and dosing like crazy just to keep Alk stable.

:)

5 minutes ago, mpugh said:

I don’t dose anything. The only other corals I have is some sort of zoa and a torch coral, which seem to be doing fine. 

I am using aqua forest sea salt, it does say that all should be lower than what I have tested, but it isn’t 🤔  I have moved it to roughly 3 inches away from the corner of my tank. It was just below the middle point of my tank (it’s only a small tank). 

I don’t test for it yet as I need to pick up a test kit

https://aquaforest.eu/en/product/sea-salt/

At 35ppt it should be 8.3 to 8.9.  I suspect either a testing error or a salinity issue.  Have you calibrated your refractometer with 35ppt fluid?

3 minutes ago, BeefyReefy said:

I know this is totally off subject but that coral looks like a slice of pizza! 😂

OR CAKE!!

My mate says the same thing 😂

• Haha 1