People who plan on anemones cover their powerheads

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

There's a few options.

Upgrade return pump and use no powerhead

Upgrade pump with small powerhead

Media basket 

Spin stream nozzle

People who plan on anemones cover their powerheads

I was thinking of the media basket do you have any suggestions and what can I cover the power head with

On 5/30/2018 at 3:21 PM, Aziaxi said:

I was thinking of the media basket do you have any suggestions and what can I cover the power head with

Suggestions for what?

I do not recommend an anemone for beginners, and they don't do well in tanks younger than at least 6 months anyway.  Spend a lot of time researching and reading because without that, it will be hard to overcome challenges in this hobby.  Once you've gotten a few months experience, if you still want an anemone you can revisit and figure out the covering of the powerhead then.

• 3 weeks later...
coral reefer tx

I’ve got this same tank coming in the mail, so thanks for posting the question.    I’m just getting back into the hobby.

Regarding a return pump upgrade, Is there a recommended high quality return pump that fits in the chamber?   

7 minutes ago, coral reefer tx said:

I’ve got this same tank coming in the mail, so thanks for posting the question.    I’m just getting back into the hobby.

Regarding a return pump upgrade, Is there a recommended high quality return pump that fits in the chamber?   

Sicce .5 or 1.0 depending on the flow you want. I been eyeballing the IM mightyjet for a bit too. 

• Thanks 1
On 5/30/2018 at 12:21 PM, Aziaxi said:

I’m just starting this tank up as well. I picked up the innovative marine media basket at my LFS for around $20 and it seems good (same as the one below but it didn’t include any media). I also got an overflow grill from amazon to prevent small fish from getting through and also to prevent an anemone from blocking flow in the event I decide to get an anemone in the future once the tank has stabilized a few months down the road. 

Innovative Marine Customcaddy - Purity Pack Media Included - Desktop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BH7ZGJC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6thlBb55FCF1M

Innovative Marine Fish Guard - Midsize/Sr - (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012HJG2LM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_nIhlBbAB16Z7M

8C19BC62-566C-4BF4-AEB4-02A62F91922C.jpeg

7E65F10F-4EAB-4723-BB62-40A7BC2B0410.jpeg

coral reefer tx

The Spinstream nozzle looks good.   Im thinking that an upgraded return pump in combination with the spin stream could produce some nice variable movement without having a separate power head.  

https://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_AUQA_Gadget_Spin_Stream_Return_Nozzle_Aquariums_Accessories-Innovative_Marine-0I10200-FIAQAA-vi.html

edit:  several reviews on Amazon mention that the gears on the nozzle are loud.     

• Like 1