Pod Your Reef

Cyphastrea care?

ihglifelol

ihglifelol

I just ordered a meteor shower cyphastrea coral for my aquarium. I know it needs low light and med flow, but what will it eat. How fast does it grow, and should it be kept away on an island rock like gsp or on the main rock. any other care tips? would appreciate it

6 minutes ago, ihglifelol said:

I just ordered a meteor shower cyphastrea coral for my aquarium. I know it needs low light and med flow, but what will it eat. How fast does it grow, and should it be kept away on an island rock like gsp or on the main rock. any other care tips? would appreciate it

My cyphastrea likes high light and high flow.  I do not feed it anything and it’s spreading quickly. ??‍♀️

ihglifelol

ok, the website said low light. will it stop spreading if it is on an island or will it spread in the sand?

how fast do they grow?

6 minutes ago, ihglifelol said:

ok, the website said low light. will it stop spreading if it is on an island or will it spread in the sand?

how fast do they grow?

I would start it low and then go from there. Mine has been pretty hardy but it took a while to get going. For some people they go crazy all over the rocks. 

Mine seemed to like moderate light and decent flow.

Mine lost colour and polyps stayed closed in high light.

Always start at the bottom and see how the coral does.

• Like 1
ihglifelol

Im gonna put it at the bottom and see how well it does, i don't have to worry about it growing to much as in 3-4 months it may grow a bit but i will move all my corals, invert etc to a new 32 gallon.

Mine lost color and barely opened in higher light. Now I have is on the bottom near a corner where the lighting it lowest. Color is better and the polyps have been more open in the last few weeks then I had ever seen them. It has never seemed to respond to regular feeding like my other corals but it did seem to perk up with regular phytoplankton dosing in the tank. 

Since moving it I have also seen it spreading onto the rock I glued it to and there are new polyps popping up all over between the old ones.

ok one thing i noticed is mine (which is a bright orange) is super opportunistic when feeding, it tries to catch any food i put in the tank and usually succeeds as it is near the end of the flow where the food meets.