Innovative Marine Aquariums

Microbacter7 to cycle

PapoReef

Hello guys! Just started to cycle a few days ago following the LFS's advice. Now im doubting a little bit. I have been doing microbacter 7 in the specified amount stated to start a new tank, but i don't know if i should add "another" (as i thought this was included in microbacter7) ammonia source? would ghost feeding flakes be okay? I have not been testing the water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, as both LFS i have around did not have them on stock. I tried searching for an answer but am still not 100% clear, so every help is appreciated! Thanks!

If you’re starting off with dry rock ammonia dosing is the easiest way to tell if cycle is complete. Just buy any cleaning ammonia that doesn’t foam up upon shaking. If it does it contains surfactant. The ammonia in microbacter7 is probably not enough.

I just use the API ammonia kit, like a lot other reefers do here although many people hate API tests. You can order it off amazon. 

I usually dose to 1 ppt then test after 24 hours. If it can turn 1 ppt ammonia to nitrATE in 24 hours you’re golden. Do a big water change and start stocking your tank. Having a complete cycle does not mean your tank is mature, though. Start off with some hardier inhabitants instead of picky things like SPS corals, anemones etc.

Microbacter7 is a bacteria supplement, you still need an ammonia source.  I used Dr. Tim's.  Amazon has the basic API tests (your best bet is to get the saltwater test kit as it's cheaper than buying the tests individually), as do most aquarium supply places (Marine Depot, Drs. Foster and Smith, etc).

13 minutes ago, PapoReef said:

Great thanks guys! So would ghost feeding do the trick? or is it better to get like pure liquid ammonia?

It can, but it is imprecise, let alone also release phosphates into your water which you don’t need/want. 

1 hour ago, Donny41 said:

I ghost fed and did a 100% water change after the cycle was complete

Good idea. I push for the total change no matter how you cycle.