Pod Your Reef

PLEASE Help me save my euphyllias

StephDaReefer

StephDaReefer

I have an octospawn and torch for 4 months they were my prized pieces and doing great but these past Month I had a bunch of copepods in the glass but my chaeto died, I took it out didn’t wanna replace it until I found out why it died. I have a very decent light for it and it was growing like weeds for months so I had no idea why it suddenly stopped thriving. Then I noticed diatoms were coming back as well as gha but the worst part was my euphyllias were no longer opening up. Tested the water and the nitrates were high and had a little bit of nitrite. I immediately did 3 water changes of 30 percent every 2-3 days. Now my Params are back to normal. No ammonia or nitrite. My nitrates are at 10 and calcium is at 440, dkh at 9. Is there anything I can do to save my euphyllias? They’re my most expensive corals and were well worth it but now I’m scared it’s too late for them to recover although all my other corals are doing just fine. Almost making me wanna quit getting corals all together. Should I dip them in revive? Should I leave them alone? Turn up or down the intensity of the light? I’m open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance. 😞

87583123-7FD3-4FE6-9DBD-0A4A0E46C68C.jpeg

B3BDA9A3-EBB5-491F-BC99-ED4DABBBCC0F.jpeg

A Little Blue

They might bounce back. Not sure if Revive is going to do you any good. 

Hermits, shrimps and other crabs will sense weak or dying corals and will start picking on it. If you have any of those, they might think that it’s time to finish the job. 

• Thanks 1
StephDaReefer
3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

They might bounce back. Not sure if Revive is going to do you any good. 

Hermits, shrimps and other crabs will sense weak or dying corals and will start picking on it. If you have any of those, they might think that it’s time to finish the job. 

So if the snails or hermits are picking at it is that a sign that they’re long gone? Haven’t had my CUC mess with them yet. Thanks for your response btw. 

A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, StephDaReefer said:

So if the snails or hermits are picking at it is that a sign that they’re long gone? Haven’t had my CUC mess with them yet. Thanks for your response btw. 

Not necessarily. What I am saying is that any harassment from your CUC will take away chances of coral survival. If they didn’t start picking on it, well, that’s a good sign. 

• Like 1
StephDaReefer
14 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Not necessarily. What I am saying is that any harassment from your CUC will take away chances of coral survival. If they didn’t start picking on it, well, that’s a good sign. 

Glad I cleared that up. Thanks again!

• Like 1
banasophia

Well I’m not really sure about yours, but my smaller torch has 4 heads and two of them looked kind of like that when I bought it (I know, dumb move, not sure why I did it). Anyway, the guy at my LFS said to only dip it in my Seachem Reef Dip for 5 minutes (rather than the usual 15-30 minutes) and he thought it would recover, so that’s what I did. But it just kept looking worse, so after several days I took it out and dipped it for the recommended time on the Reef Dip and after waiting the longer time period, 12 big amphpods came out of it!!!

Not sure if that could be the issue with yours, probably not, but I just thought I would mention it, in case you might want to try dipping. 

• Thanks 1

Have there been any changes with flow lately?  Sometimes if they get hit by too strong and direct flow, it can tear them and leave them prone to infection.  Can you get your hands on some Lugol's iodine?  I use it as a preventative and medicinal dip for corals.  A couple of drops of Lugol's per cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes.  You can repeat again the next day if you need to.  You can also try lights out for a day or two to reduce stress on them.  I had to do this after I moved last year, I was very close to losing an acan and blasto and did this and both recovered.  I think your corals have a very good chance of recovery at this point but you'll need to act quickly.  I use Kent brand Lugol's iodine and usually get it on Amazon with my Prime shipping.

If they do end up perishing, don't let it drive you away from corals.  It can be very discouraging to lose something you've put so much money and effort and care into.  I had this happen when I was brand new and had just a few corals and experienced a tank crash that killed everything and couldn't afford to replace anything for months.  It was very disheartening.  I also experienced another bad crash a little over a year ago and lost almost everything then as well.  It can be hard to find the motivation to move on but if you do, it can be very rewarding!  Loss is an unfortunate part of our hobby, what matters most is how we move forward. :smilie:

• Thanks 1
StephDaReefer
On 5/26/2018 at 6:23 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Have there been any changes with flow lately?  Sometimes if they get hit by too strong and direct flow, it can tear them and leave them prone to infection.  Can you get your hands on some Lugol's iodine?  I use it as a preventative and medicinal dip for corals.  A couple of drops of Lugol's per cup of tank water for 3-5 minutes.  You can repeat again the next day if you need to.  You can also try lights out for a day or two to reduce stress on them.  I had to do this after I moved last year, I was very close to losing an acan and blasto and did this and both recovered.  I think your corals have a very good chance of recovery at this point but you'll need to act quickly.  I use Kent brand Lugol's iodine and usually get it on Amazon with my Prime shipping.

If they do end up perishing, don't let it drive you away from corals.  It can be very discouraging to lose something you've put so much money and effort and care into.  I had this happen when I was brand new and had just a few corals and experienced a tank crash that killed everything and couldn't afford to replace anything for months.  It was very disheartening.  I also experienced another bad crash a little over a year ago and lost almost everything then as well.  It can be hard to find the motivation to move on but if you do, it can be very rewarding!  Loss is an unfortunate part of our hobby, what matters most is how we move forward. :smilie:

Sorry I’m just now replying. Thanks so much for being so helpful haven’t ran into anyone as informative on any of my posts and I really appreaciate it. Unfortunately I lost my torch and octo, I wasn’t very attentive of the tank for a while because of a loss in the family. But I’m sure if I would’ve seen this earlier I would’ve tried some of your advice. But I will forsure keep all of this in mind if I ever come across a problem like this again (fingers crossed it doesn’t.)

• 2 months later...