Pod Your Reef

pom pom xenia question

Mothi

I bought a small frag (1 stalk) of pom pom xenia maybe 2-3 weeks or so ago. Since it was not attached to a rock, I had to rubber band it, and it was pissed for a while. It started pulsing a few days later and seems to like the location it is at. A few days after it was pulsing, I removed the rubber band and noticed that the stalk is not split in half. The xenia still pulses well in its current location, but sometimes it completely closes up out of the blue during light hours. I had my timers set for 12 hours and the bulbs are 2 13 watts (10k + blue) over a 2.5g tank. Is it possible it dislikes so much light hours? I have decreased the light hours to 10, but have to wait to see if the xenia just hated all the lights.

Another question, does does a xenia reproduce? My one frag that is now 2 stalks has bulbs on the side and wonder if it is a bad or good thing. Kinda looks like how trees form branches. Same for xenia?

everything is A ok. dont worry about it. and it sounds like it's splitting. it prolly closed cause something pissed it off, not ur lights but a hermit or something. or something bumped ur tank and that shocked ur xenia. Or it could have just closed on its own. sometimes, xenia does weird things. Even suicide...

lol i've heard of the suicide too!

read somewhere that out of nowhere someday they might just melt and die.

btw, xenia i find is the most pissy of my corals (besides GSP). when i first got them they'd pout all day, no pulsing just shrunk up into a fat ball... and after a 2 weeks they've been pulsing non-stop for couple months straight. i sure hope mine don't one day suicide on me... that would be horrible

i still like mine... it's one of the corals that actually look like they're doing something besides "swaying" :)

and i too agree, it's very hypnotic... O_O zzzz

Well, I still really like my xenia because it is the only thing in the tank that moves constantly. The hermit and snails are so slow I barely see them moving. Zoanthids just sit there. :( I still like my sun corals too and have fun feeding them. I got bored of my green star polyps though. :(

Archived