Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wavemaker for Lagoon 25

CarolinaShoreReef

CarolinaShoreReef

How’s it going reefers! 

I just found out the two powerheads in my lagoon are rated 240 gph and that was too weak for my 5g... Anyways, I am in the market for a nice wave maker or power head that can replace these two and provide great all around circulation. Any suggestions? 

Thanks! 

CarolinaShoreReef
20 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Vortech MP10QD?

That’s one expensive piece of equipment..

19 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Aqamai kps - awesome wavemaker and very well priced.

That looks like a winner, thanks! 

whisnantrider
On 5/21/2018 at 6:44 AM, CarolinaShoreReef said:

That’s one expensive piece of equipment..

That looks like a winner, thanks! 

I 2nd that and have two KPS and they were really good. I just swapped to the Ice cap 1k just for a change but the Aqamai are really nice and half the price of the mp10 but they don't move water the same way as the mp10. 

• 2 weeks later...
CarolinaShoreReef

Anyone have experience or know of the reliability of the Jebao PP-4? Really good price point and water movement, but I’ve got a feeling it’ll have the same *hit rep as the SW 2 and crap out after a few months. 

Kellie in CA

I avoided powerheads and upgraded the return pump to the midsize MighyJet with 2 RFG nozzles. I'm pretty happy with the flow. 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
7 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

I avoided powerheads and upgraded the return pump to the midsize MighyJet with 2 RFG nozzles. I'm pretty happy with the flow. 

One of the returns is upgrading and I’ll probably do the other one next but I’d rather get a controllable wave maker first. I don’t believe the two returns are enough for me. 

I do do like the RFG idea, I’ll be swapping the spin streams for those soon too. 

A Little Blue
39 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

One of the returns is upgrading and I’ll probably do the other one next but I’d rather get a controllable wave maker first. I don’t believe the two returns are enough for me. 

I do do like the RFG idea, I’ll be swapping the spin streams for those soon too. 

You can definitely upgrade return pump for added flow. Especially if you’re going to use RFG nozzles. (There is a chart on their website regarding minimum flow rate for various nozzle sizes)

But increasing the return flow as a solution to increase overall flow and water distribution in your display is not something I would suggest. 

1. Your filtration in the back-compartment “sump” is most effective at 10-15 times turnover. (A little more if you run a macro-algae fuge or dose Triton)

2. With wavemaker(s) you can:

• provide enough flow for most demanding corals without sacrificing efficiency of your filtration by not enough contact time with the media. 

• you can aim flow to minimize dead spots and keep your detritus build up to minimum. 

• some wavemakes (like KPS) can be programmed to run various, randomized flow options throughout 24h period. That’s definitely a good thing and recommended approach for healthy corals. Especially LPS/SPS species. 

• if SPS corals is your game of choice, no return pump in your tank can provide that kind of randomness or flow rate. 

At least that’s my take on this subject. Surely others might use different approach or reasoning on this issue. 

• Thanks 1

The small baskets on IM tanks make it easy to put too much return flow, causing the baskets to overflow, at least in my experience. 

• Thanks 1