Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fire worm or bristle worm?

SeaFurn

So I believe I have had fire worms in my IM14 tank in the past. I found these today during the water change. Is the worm on the left a fire worm or a normal bristle worm like those on the right? 

42173900052_e7f8e99f6b_b.jpg

Just now, SeaFurn said:

So I believe I have had fire worms in my IM14 tank in the past. I found these today during the water change. Is the worm on the left a fire worm or a normal bristle worm like those on the right? 

Touch it and see! 

5 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Touch it and see! 

Ha! No thanks!

These things are creepy. 

I’ll send it to you if you want to try! 

1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

Ha! No thanks!

These things are creepy. 

I’ll send it to you if you want to try! 

Spoilsport. You could go viral if you take a video. 

1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

Spoilsport. You could go viral if you take a video. 

And right after that I could frag a paly or two!  What do you think?? 

🤣

16 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I say normal bristleworm. 

7 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

What about that fat one in the middle? 

That’s the one I’m talking about.

Fireworms typically have red things running down their body along side the “bristles”. 

A Little Blue
16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That’s the one I’m talking about.

Fireworms typically have red things running down their body along side the “bristles”. 

Those extra long bristles confused me a little. But you’re right about coloration differences. Aren’t fireworms a little more colorful? I have also see some with stripes. Thanks. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

And right after that I could frag a paly or two!  What do you think?? 

🤣

Hey bro, if you wanna go viral go big. Paly bong rips?

• Haha 2

The one on the left was definitely different than the others - even more so than the photo shows. It was wider, much more red and had longer bristles with more per bunch. 

Was just freaked out that it might be another fire worm. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

The one on the left was definitely different than the others - even more so than the photo shows. It was wider, much more red and had longer bristles with more per bunch. 

Was just freaked out that it might be another fire worm. 

I have both kinds that you have pictured. Some are skinny and bi-colored and some are fat with super fluffy bristles. 

Heres a pick of one of the fat fluffy ones:

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

Just today I got rid of a bistle worm.  I was afraid it was a fire worm.  It didn't look the pictures, it was more flesh coloured with turfts running down the side.  I saw during the day 3 days ago, I also noticed my bi-colour blenny didn't want to go in his whole anymore.  So I took the rock and put it in fresh RO water and the worm fell out and died instently.  I fell bad if it's a regular one, but I have a nano reef tank and didn't want to wait until it was too late.  I wish I had a picture.  What are your thought?

1 hour ago, Sally-Jo said:

Just today I got rid of a bistle worm.  I was afraid it was a fire worm.  It didn't look the pictures, it was more flesh coloured with turfts running down the side.  I saw during the day 3 days ago, I also noticed my bi-colour blenny didn't want to go in his whole anymore.  So I took the rock and put it in fresh RO water and the worm fell out and died instently.  I fell bad if it's a regular one, but I have a nano reef tank and didn't want to wait until it was too late.  I wish I had a picture.  What are your thought?

Regardless of what it was, better to be safe than sorry, especially if it was potentially bothering livestock.

Thanks for confiming.  Today the bi-colour blenny is swimming around and out on the rocks and using his home.  I do think which ever it was the bristles must have been bothering him.