ReefCleaners.org

Apatasia or something else?

JBolt

I just bought my first set of  frags and one of them has a little plant/algea thing growing out of it.  Should I remove it or let it be?

Also can anybody identify what those little wind turbine looking fuzz things under live rock are......

Tia

20180516_140417.jpg

20180509_163533.jpg

1 hour ago, JBolt said:

I just bought my first set of  frags and one of them has a little plant/algea thing growing out of it.  Should I remove it or let it be?

Also can anybody identify what those little wind turbine looking fuzz things under live rock are......

Tia

20180516_140417.jpg

20180509_163533.jpg

Aiptasia and hydroids. 

The aptasia needs to be removed..... now. There are a variety of ways to do that...: kalk paste in the mouth, vinegar injection, scraping (although you have to get EVERY bit or it just grows back and spreads, and it needs to be done out of the tank). I had luck with Peppermint Shrimp, but then they turned on my new acans and destroyed them, so they're permanently banned from my tank. There are some chemicals designed to target Aptasia, but I feel personally resist putting anything REALLY caustic into my system. Check out Aptasia threads on this forum, or just hang out for a while. You'll get 17 different ways to deal with this pest, some that will actually work for you. (grin)

Thank you so much for the prompt responses.  It just went in so I'll grab the gloves and goggles and pull the frag out, separate the paly from the plug, and glue to rubble directly.  Wish me luck, any tips or tricks I should know?