Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This stuff is amazing.  It makes my fish go nuts and my Mandarin actually eats it!!! He thinks they are alive and plucks them up like live food!  

5DAD72E5-B613-46C8-B1BE-59D220151470.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

That stuff looks cool but says it needs to be used up within 7 to 10 days which would be impossible in a nano. I wonder if getting tiny ice cube trays and freezing it would be an option to turn it into frozen fish food? That sort of ruins the freshness but otherwise it would need to be thrown away anyways. 


I would be curious of what the cooking/canning process has any negative impact on the nutrition in the food?

 

I will keep an eye out for this at the LFS to see how freezing goes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I used to love to feed cyclop-eeze to everything from inverts to baby fish. Very nutritious and full of omega 3's. Not too many places around here still carry the frozen cyclop-eeze cubes and sheets but if you can find them, your fish should love them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I watched a guy on YouTube that feeds it to all his fish and he feeds from the can for two weeks (keeps refrigerated) and then freezes the rest in sheets (pours in ziplock bags) and then just breaks off pieces when he needs.  For $7 this is a super find if you ask me.  Algaebarn carries it as well as amazon.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I purchased frozen Cyclops(the brand above can't be sold here) and everything goes nuts for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I always see the “crude analysis” or whatever on the side of fish food and wonder about it. Maybe someone knows more about it that I do but that stuff says it’s 90% moisture. Obviously none of the pellets I use have moisture that high but they aren’t cooked or canned either. I hope someone with some knowledge about it can chime in. I would venture to guess that many frozen foods would contain similar amounts?

Share this post


Link to post

Being frozen in water, frozen foods always have a high moisture content. Most of the weight you're purchasing is ice. In this case, whole cyclops copepods are frozen in water whole either in cubes or sheets. Several companies out there also sell freeze dried copepods with a much lower moisture content.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, OPtasia said:

Being frozen in water, frozen foods always have a high moisture content. Most of the weight you're purchasing is ice. In this case, whole cyclops copepods are frozen in water whole either in cubes or sheets. Several companies out there also sell freeze dried copepods with a much lower moisture content.

I’m sure that’s right. I was really wondering more why if it’s been cooked and canned so much of the product would still be water? It’s a great price and there are a few online retailers selling for less than four bucks so I’m kinda tempted. 

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, OPtasia said:

Being frozen in water, frozen foods always have a high moisture content. Most of the weight you're purchasing is ice. In this case, whole cyclops copepods are frozen in water whole either in cubes or sheets. Several companies out there also sell freeze dried copepods with a much lower moisture content.

What’s interesting about this is since it is not frozen (at least initially) it’s almost a paste of copepods in water.  Reminds me of cat food.  🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I’m sure that’s right. I was really wondering more why if it’s been cooked and canned so much of the product would still be water? It’s a great price and there are a few online retailers selling for less than four bucks so I’m kinda tempted. 

I don’t think they have been cooked.  I’m pretty sure it’s just packed in water.   I really don’t think the water content is any higher really than live food.  I’m no expert though. 

Share this post


Link to post

Zoo Med says on their website they are "cooked in a can" - whatever that means. 

 

I wonder what the effects of long term consumption of Guar Gum are for fish? It is a laxative but too much can bind you up. 

 

Ya sorry... I am a label reader.

 

Edit: found a brief article, take it for whatever you want. I'm going to have to start inspecting my fish food now like a freaking crazy lady.

 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0044848685900043

Share this post


Link to post

Guar Gum is in my cheap mysis from petco but not in my LRS or nutramar Ova. Ya.. I am that crazy person now... :haha:

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I purchased frozen Cyclops(the brand above can't be sold here) and everything goes nuts for it.

 

You can buy the canned ones as shown in the OP in Canada although may need to order online. Pets and Ponds sells them, Petland, Big Al's, and Amazon has it from time to time as well.

 

I do buy frozen cyclops, although my fish seem to find them too small and ignore them....

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Guar Gum is in my cheap mysis from petco but not in my LRS or nutramar Ova. Ya.. I am that crazy person now... :haha:

I don't like foods with necessary ingredients either. The mysis I feed is just mysis, nothing else added. I make a lot of my own frozen food as there is nothing decent available to me. I loved LRS but my fellow local reefers didn't because of the high price point, so the stores stopped selling it. Good food though and fish loved it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Zoo Med says on their website they are "cooked in a can" - whatever that means. 

 

I wonder what the effects of long term consumption of Guar Gum are for fish? It is a laxative but too much can bind you up. 

 

Ya sorry... I am a label reader.

 

Edit: found a brief article, take it for whatever you want. I'm going to have to start inspecting my fish food now like a freaking crazy lady.

 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0044848685900043

Ha....its a good thing to do...reading labels.  It does say it slows the passage of the food through the digestive tract.  That may be a good thing for my mandarin. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

Ha....it does say it slows the passage of the food through the digestive tract.  That may be a good thing for my mandarin. 

Also says reduces digestibility of protein and fat. I know it is something I try to avoid feeding my cats (which eliminates a lot of foods) because there is a lot of controversy around it. 

 

I threw away my mysis. I didn't think they would put thickener in frozen shrimp <_<

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Also says reduces digestibility of protein and fat. I know it is something I try to avoid feeding my cats (which eliminates a lot of foods) because there is a lot of controversy around it. 

 

I threw away my mysis. I didn't think they would put thickener in frozen shrimp <_<

Lol I was half being funny (trying anyway). I get your point though.  I am going to use it in any case.  Not as a sole source but one of many. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Also says reduces digestibility of protein and fat. I know it is something I try to avoid feeding my cats (which eliminates a lot of foods) because there is a lot of controversy around it. 

 

I threw away my mysis. I didn't think they would put thickener in frozen shrimp <_<

Ahaha! A damn useless drunk starts a semi thoughtful dialogue!

 

best cat food I ever used was some cheap dollar store tuna and replace the water or oil with automotive antifreeze. Works wonders. 

 

Side note: If you like cats this is not a good food option. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

Lol I was half being funny (trying anyway). I get your point though.  I am going to use it in any case.  Not as a sole source but one of many. 

Yeah, rotating foods is good! I'm going to see if Petsmart has this brand next time I am there. Says it is just cyclops and shows them as a retailer. Saves me having to freeze anything. 

 

http://www.omegasea.net/products/nutrition/frozen-cyclops

 

31 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Ahaha! A damn useless drunk starts a semi thoughtful dialogue!

 

best cat food I ever used was some cheap dollar store tuna and replace the water or oil with automotive antifreeze. Works wonders. 

 

Side note: If you like cats this is not a good food option. 

:slap:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

 

You can buy the canned ones as shown in the OP in Canada although may need to order online. Pets and Ponds sells them, Petland, Big Al's, and Amazon has it from time to time as well.

 

I do buy frozen cyclops, although my fish seem to find them too small and ignore them....

It had been banned for quite a few yrs.

 

The canned version I haven't seen in any store here including big al's.

 

I like the frozen Cyclops, and since my livestock love it, I don't change.

I've never seen a reaction like I do with Cyclops and it's the cheapest food I've purchased.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It had been banned for quite a few yrs.

 

The canned version I haven't seen in any store here including big al's.

 

I like the frozen Cyclops, and since my livestock love it, I don't change.

I've never seen a reaction like I do with Cyclops and it's the cheapest food I've purchased.

We don't have big als stores this far west, but it is on their Canadian website. 

 

Where did you read that the product had been banned? I am generally curious as I have never heard that before regarding this item.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

It had been banned for quite a few yrs.

 

The canned version I haven't seen in any store here including big al's.

 

I like the frozen Cyclops, and since my livestock love it, I don't change.

I've never seen a reaction like I do with Cyclops and it's the cheapest food I've purchased.

Banned?  the food is banned?  why would they ban fish food?

Share this post


Link to post

I like the omega sea products (Omega One foods) and New Life Spectrum foods for fish and some corals. They're nutrient dense with the right kind of seafoods in them except for the wheat they use as a binder. Acans and Palys love the omega one color mini pellets but you do have to cut off the circulation pumps to feed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

Banned?  the food is banned?  why would they ban fish food?

I have no idea. 

The lfs's had the signs and price tags but never any stock. I was told there was an issue with it being sold here and that's the only thing I could find online too.

 

Could be an ingredient for all I know.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×