ReefCleaners.org

Royal Gramma scared?

TheJDB

A few weeks ago I added a Brazilian Rayal Gramma to my 55 gallon reef. The only other fish I have is a Med. yellow tang and a tank raised Perc clown, both of which I have had for 2 years. The Royal Gramma shot straight down to the bottom and then found a nice rock to hide under. I thought this was OK at first but it hasn't came out besides for his head since I put him in there. I havnt seen him eat yet either. How long before he gets the courage to swim around and come out some. The only other fish I wanted to get was a flame angle or a coral beauty! Should I get this fish now or wait a few months? I would really like my Royal gramma to feal at home. What can I do to help. Anyone else had this problem?

I have a brasilian gramma too. Mine started eating the second day but mine is still quite shy. Most of the time, it wont come out except feeding. I wouldnt really add another fish when you are having a problem with the current one.

What do you offer? Try using some frozen brine shrimp and let them pass through his cave.

Too late, I woke up to my gramma dead, my clean up crew about had him gone. It was hard to even tell it was him except one tiny bright pink spot. I think my tang killed him.

Most grammas are quite shy and do not come out that often, except during feeding. Mine took about 3-4 days before it figured out that when there is stuff floating in the water that it is food. Once they get used to the tank, they will come out more often. Remember these fish are cave dwelling fish and this is where they spend most of their time and also where they sleep.

I have the same situation. That fish was like $21 and the darn fish only come out to eat. It's doing good in the tank but they are very shy. My son gets near the tank and the fish hides under a rock. Im not sure if I would ever get one again. I like my fish to be out swimming around.

my royal gramma only hides to sleep of if my hands are in the tank. the rest of the time he either harassing the cherub angel or crusing the rock work. they are funyy to see when they are defending their hole. they open their mouth really big to look agressive. but they look more goofy than anything. they have a huge white mouth. funny stuff.

i digress. it really depends on they individual fish. my gramma is one of the more out going fish in my tank. so's my fire fish and the rest of my gobies. but they are not supposed to be. go figure? ???

Archived