Cultivated Reef

Is this palythoa toxica?

Melfy77

So I found an article about zoa and palythoa and its toxin, and of course I have a coral that looks like palythoa toxica. Not a fan of having this in my tank especially with 2 kids at home...what do you guys think? 

20180509_073646.jpg

If you like the coral, keep it. Literally millions of people kept these things for years unaware of the toxicity and didn’t have any reactions to it. Read stories of people who have gotten palytoxin poisoning and they all have one of two common themes. Being uninformed about what they have or careless about how they handled it. Cutting or ripping the corals not wearing a face shield, boiling rock, adding a hot salt mix to rock that has palys on them, fragging the the corals with cuts on your hands and not wearing gloves. Knowledge is your friend here. If you know what you have and take proper precautions  whenever you deal with them then you shouldn’t have any issues. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rob22 said:

If you like the coral, keep it. Literally millions of people kept these things for years unaware of the toxicity and didn’t have any reactions to it. Read stories of people who have gotten palytoxin poisoning and they all have one of two common themes. Being uninformed about what they have or careless about how they handled it. Cutting or ripping the corals not wearing a face shield, boiling rock, adding a hot salt mix to rock that has palys on them, fragging the the corals with cuts on your hands and not wearing gloves. Knowledge is your friend here. If you know what you have and take proper precautions  whenever you deal with them then you shouldn’t have any issues. 

Exactly this^

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, ndrobey said:

If you are really concerned about it, trade them for something else.

Too much work. Close all windows and doors and boil the rock it’s on gather the family round and smell the steam. 

PSA: Don’t actually do this.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

Too much work. Close all windows and doors and boil the rock it’s on gather the family round and smell the steam. 

PSA: Don’t actually do this.  

Hahaha yeah...no....I work in a hospital and have no desire to go to emerge thank you very much lol. I'll keep it for now, anyway I've had this for close to a year. Although I will admit I sometimes forget to put gloves when handling those...facepalm

2 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Hahaha yeah...no....I work in a hospital and have no desire to go to emerge thank you very much lol. I'll keep it for now, anyway I've had this for close to a year. Although I will admit I sometimes forget to put gloves when handling those...facepalm

Lol.  Doesn’t your eye just itch so bad afterwards?