Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tuxedo Urchin ate my clove polyps

VictoryBell

VictoryBell

So, about two weeks ago I bought a tuxedo urchin. He's absolutely adorable (only about the size of a small bouncy ball) and seems

to be at home in the tank (a bit too much).

I noticed he had peices of clove polyps on him a few days ago, then the next day he was sitting on top of my clove polyp frag. When he moved, all the cloves were gone. 

Any advice on what I should do? I did notice him on the Xenia last week but he hasn't seemed to bother it since. Should I wait and see if he goes after something else or take him back? I really like him and all but I don't want him chowing down on coral.

There is algae in the tank and I've fed him nori before. Should I make sure I keep him well fed?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Playapixie

I’ve had tuxedo urchins and clove polyps living happily together for years.  Lots of correline in my tank for them to eat though.  They do occasionally end up carrying aroun a random polyp here and there, but I’ve never seen them eat/destroy any corals in my tank.

VictoryBell
5 hours ago, ihglifelol said:

oh, does it have any clove polyps on its back,

🤔

Yes, he was wearing them and kept going back for more every day or so.

5 hours ago, Playapixie said:

I’ve had tuxedo urchins and clove polyps living happily together for years.  Lots of correline in my tank for them to eat though.  They do occasionally end up carrying aroun a random polyp here and there, but I’ve never seen them eat/destroy any corals in my tank. 

I have algae in my tank, mainly hair and some film algae (on the glass). He's been eating like a pig and really cleaned my rockscape.  I like to feed the urchin nori too cause its fun to watch him take it.

I asked the guy at the LFS and he said the urchin could have wanted some algae on that plug and the cloves could have been caught in the crossfire by his sharp teeth. Also, when I bought him at the fish store I noticed a few of the other urchins had cloves on them. Maybe these guys just like cloves? 🤔

So far, he doesn't seem to be bothering any of my other coral. *fingers crossed*

I really like this little guy and want to keep him.

ihglifelol

while he was decorating himeself with clove palys, he might of accidently killed it, or with algae close to it, it will be funny if you see a colony of clove palys on him😅

look around, he might of droped some clove polyps around your rock and decide to have a different decoration,

or he has some wierd querks in him, i have a pin cushion (close relative of tuxedo) that will climb on all rocks but the top of 1, yes the sides, bit not the top. if I put him on it, he lets go and lets my flow nocks himoff and is happy where it is🙃