SaltCritters.com

? regarding Aquarium Depot shipping

NanoRox

I decided to try a small order from Aquarium Depot.  I made an assumption that the $16 shipping it quoted was overnight (at a great rate) but after looking at the UPS tracking it is scheduled for 2 day delivery.  I am used to my corals being shipped overnight so I am wondering what I should expect with 2 day shipping.  I didn't get much...besides some pods I picked up two zoanthid frags and a purple gorgonian (photosynthetic) and a snail (added that so I could get a free frag :-).   Anyone else have experience with 2 day coral shipping? 

MainelyReefer

Their pods are the ones I don't like that eat corals in my pico.  I have gotten multiple shipments from them(about 1/2 came 2day) when I was just starting out 2 years ago.  No luck with their trumpets, or any branching LPS from them really.  Best coral I received from them was a standard yellow scroll coral.  They sell gorgonians which is why I chanced upon them as they were a favorite for a while, but even their gorgonians are mostly NPS.  Their mushrooms, zoas, and acans I had good luck with.  Keep an eye on those pods and if they are those gray shrimp bastards on a filter floss pad put them in the trash.  The two day shipping came as part of the pod package I assume as that's the deal they used to try to do.  You have to choose next day and the results will be better, but I wouldn't lose all hope as some corals will fair ok

• Thanks 1

Good info.  Thanks.  I think the pods will have amphipods rather than copepods.  I really wanted copepods but got a small order to see what they really were.  The website shows pics of both.  I’m guessing you are talking about the amphipods.  I’ve had those before but have not noticed them eating corals.  I will definitely be interested in what they actually are.  

My my main reason of even ordering is the gorgonian (hard to find in my experience).  If that makes it then it will be worth it.   Fingers crossed.  I have heard mixed reviews about this company so wish me luck.  🙂 

2 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Good luck! If gorgs are your thing KP Aquatics has the fire

KP Aquatics...got it,  Thanks.  I guess I should have asked first.  lol 

WV Reefer
1 hour ago, Duane Clark said:

I decided to try a small order from Aquarium Depot.  I made an assumption that the $16 shipping it quoted was overnight (at a great rate) but after looking at the UPS tracking it is scheduled for 2 day delivery.  I am used to my corals being shipped overnight so I am wondering what I should expect with 2 day shipping.  I didn't get much...besides some pods I picked up two zoanthid frags and a purple gorgonian (photosynthetic) and a snail (added that so I could get a free frag :-).   Anyone else have experience with 2 day coral shipping? 

I have used their two day shipping and everything should be fine.

I buy pods there to refresh my supply when I go on vacation.  

Their gorgs are usually in great shape and for the price you really can’t beat them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have received inverts (but no corals) from Reef Cleaners second day with decent results.

2 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

Anyone else have experience with 2 day coral shipping? 

I asked Aquarium Depot the same thing with my first order from them (scheduled to arrive today).  They said that this is a decent time of year to ship livestock and that it should be fine.  I'm used to getting things shipped next day, but I'm not very worried.  I guess I'll find out later today.

• Like 1
Nocturnal

I got an order from them last week with 2 day shipping. I wasn't ordering anything expensive so I wasn't terribly worried. Out of 10 zoa frags only one didn't make it. The rest came in fine and I wasn't even able to open the box until late the day it arrived. My pistol shrimp was also in great shape.

• Like 3

My order arrived UPS second day air yesterday around 6:30 PM last night.  I was starting to get worried about it as it got later and later.  But fortunately, it arrived and everything was fine.

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/050218a.jpg

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/050218b.jpg

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/050218c.jpg

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/050218d.jpg

My Aquarium Depot Order:
4) Astrea Snail (Turbo fluctuosa)
1) Single Polyp of Bad Mamma Jamma Zoanthids Coral (Palythoa sp)
2) Banded Tiger Trochus Snails (Trochus sp.)
2) Cerith Snail (Cerithiidae sp.)
2) Extra Large Cerith Snail (Cerithiidae sp.)
3) Green Ricordea Florida Coral (Ricordea florida)
1) 10+ Polyps of Hurricane Zoanthids (Zoanthus sp.) FREE
1) Macro Algae for Promo FREE
3) Money Cowrie (Monetaria moneta)
2) Porcelain Crab Blue (Porcellana sayana)
1) 10+ Polyps of Radio Active Dragon Eye Zoanthids Coral (Zoanthus sp.) FREE
4) Tapestry Nerite Snail

1) 2nd day air shipping FREE

• Like 1

I'm supposed to get mine today and still waiting.  ugh,  Very glad yours came in.  Would love to see them once in the tank and acclimated. 

• Like 1

I was impressed with what I got, and the condition it was when it arrived.  I don't believe that I had one DOA.  One thing that I really appreciate is that the Astrea, Cerith, and Trochus snails came in without pest algae.  I'm not saying this will always be the case, but it's nice that I didn't have to deal with snails containing pest algae.  I swear that I've introduced more pest algae into my tanks from snails than from new corals.  I'd buy from them again.

51 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

Would love to see them once in the tank and acclimated.

I'll try to get some pics later on.  The 2 freebie zoanthids are closed up right now, but that's to be expected as they were just shipped then subjected to a series of dips.  The rics seem to be doing well.

• Like 2

Mine came in.  The zoas are starting to open already.  Not sure what to expect from the gorgonian.  Looks like a pale stick.  Pics showed a bright purple so who knows.  

• Like 1

Just a quick update.  The radio active dragon eye zoas are doing great.  The yellow polyp (which I have no idea what it actually is but looks like a paly)  is also great.  It’s also not yellow but maybe in time.  I am still trying to find a good spot for the gorgonian so will post a pic when I am happy with it.  No complaints here whatsoever. 

5EFCBEA9-4ABF-4912-826D-AF5B6579B6E8.jpeg

6E500C08-B5A2-4C2C-BCB8-4272E00D11D1.jpeg

• Like 2
WV Reefer
38 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

Just a quick update.  The radio active dragon eye zoas are doing great.  The yellow polyp (which I have no idea what it actually is but looks like a paly)  is also great.  It’s also not yellow but maybe in time.  I am still trying to find a good spot for the gorgonian so will post a pic when I am happy with it.  No complaints here whatsoever. 

5EFCBEA9-4ABF-4912-826D-AF5B6579B6E8.jpeg

6E500C08-B5A2-4C2C-BCB8-4272E00D11D1.jpeg

Some of the yellow Polyps are “yellower” than others. Some of mine were super yellow and some were more brown-yellow.

Everything else looks good. :)  

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2018 at 5:29 PM, seabass said:

I'll try to get some pics later on.

Way overdue on the coral pics, but here they are:

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/060918a.jpg

The top two are the freebie frags (I fragged the other three from these).

They called these: Radio Active Dragon Eye Zoanthids, and Hurricane Zoanthids

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/060918b.jpg

I purchased the lower one as Bad Mamma Jamma Zoanthids.  It doesn't really look like the pic provided.  I'm sure my lighting has a lot to do with it.  But it was only 24.99, so I'm not going to complain.  I actually think they are going to look nice (as is) once they are in a colony.

Here's the pic of the Bad Mamma Jammas, provided by Aquarium Depot:

Image result for bad mamma jamma coral

These were all purchased as Green Ricordea Florida Coral (Ricordea florida):

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/060918c.jpg

They are a nice variety of colors.  Again, I'm happy with what I got.

Disclosure: I beat the crap out of these corals once I got them.  So they are looking pretty good considering the two day shipping, the Bayer Insecticide dip, a peroxide dip, and fragging them off of their rocks.  There was a bit of bubble algae on a couple of the rocks that I broke off prior to the peroxide dip.  All in all, a happy customer.

• Like 1