Coral Vue Hydros

Tips for montipora in a nano?

Playapixie

Playapixie

Hi! After 7 years I think I’ve dialed in the stability aspects of my 34 gallon Solana, and finally feel ready to try a little SPS. I’m interested in montipora in particular at the moment, and I’m wondering how people manage the plating varieties in such small spaces.  I have a spot that I’m eyeing for montipora capricornus, but I’ve read that plates can span up to 18”; obviously that isn’t going to work in a 20” cube.  Are the some varieties that grow smaller plates? Or do you trim them somehow to mange them in your nanos?  I’ve seen them in plenty of pictures, and I’m wonering what your technique is for the larger montis, birdsnests, acropora, etc.  Tips for keeping them nano-friendly?

dandelion

I’ve had bird nest and Monticello in my 6g pick before never had problems. You may have to frag it often in case they grow too close to each other. You’ll also have to check all often but 34g should be fine. 

This guy is extra salty
46 minutes ago, Playapixie said:

Can you just clip back Monti Cap plates without destroying the shape/edges? 

Yes you can frag it to the shape you want/need

dandelion

I once dropped my red cap frag onto the floor and it shattered into like 4 or 5 pieces. I places them on a ceramic tile as best I can. Turned out I had the orientation all wrong. They fused together but the pattern was all messed up. That said any new growth followed the same pattern. So basically as long as you don’t shatter the cap it should be fine. 

• Like 1
banasophia

I’d love to see before / right after pics from Monti cap fragging if anyone has them, showing what it looks like in the tank soon after fragging.

• Like 1