Cultivated Reef

ID of this odd tree branch looking creature?

trmiv

Any clue what this is? I found it today on a small rock that is under my main rock structure, so it is mostly in the dark. The picture isn't great, I know, it was very hard to photgraph. Anyway, it has a main stalk in the middle with what appears to be a round mouth, then you see those branches that extend out from the mouth. Each branch has tiny little branches coming off of it. If I watch it, sometimes a branch will curl up back towards the mouth like it caught something and is eating it. Any idea?

thing.jpg

thing2.jpg

even if it's stationary now it could still be one of those i listed imo. (not saying definitively, just possibly)

for ex.: i had a pink cucumber stay in one place (filter feeding at the top of the tank, high flow) for over a year. never moved, even at night. and prior to that it had been staying slightly lower for about six months, also never moving other than swinging it's 'head' to feed.

i think it eventually was outcompeted for the plankton by the enormous amount of vermetid snails that dominate that system now. little booger dripping fuggers. :angry:

but i never quite understood why the cuke made even that slight alteration after six months. especially since there was no change in the flow dynamics or livestock. whatevah.

side note: btw i'm sorry, i actually meant 'sounds like' not 'looks like' in my initial reply.

Archived