Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Plain Jane 10

Type-H20

13 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Great start on this tank! I love the classic 10g look, and I'm looking forward to seeing it mature.

These zoas look like the ones I have in my IM Fusion 10. If they are the same, they are probably Reefgen Vulcan Blood zoas. Here's a link to a picture from their web site: droppedImage-54-750x750.jpg

Thanks!  Your IM10 is a big inspiration for this tank, so hoping it's 1/2 as nice when it matures.   

Far as the zoa ID, the frills don't look that blue on mine under any light settings I have tried (Kessil A80 all settings and Par 38 Ledtric full spectrum), they are more brownish/redish looking, but on second thought after comparing your pics to mine it's pretty close, so maybe.

• Like 2
A Little Blue
4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Great start on this tank! I love the classic 10g look, and I'm looking forward to seeing it mature.

These zoas look like the ones I have in my IM Fusion 10. If they are the same, they are probably Reefgen Vulcan Blood zoas. Here's a link to a picture from their web site: droppedImage-54-750x750.jpg

Could be..... IDK. 

I am not great with names but it’s nice to know at least some of them. 👍

15 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

Thanks!  Your IM10 is a big inspiration for this tank, so hoping it's 1/2 as nice when it matures.   

Far as the zoa ID, the frills don't look that blue on mine under any light settings I have tried (Kessil A80 all settings and Par 38 Ledtric full spectrum), they are more brownish/redish looking, but on second thought after comparing your pics to mine it's pretty close, so maybe.

Mine aren't really blue either. Here's a picture from when they were brand new. 

New Zoas

3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Mine aren't really blue either. Here's a picture from when they were brand new. 

New Zoas

That looks like them.

• Like 1
On 6/2/2018 at 10:44 PM, Type-H20 said:

I checked out their website and they have tons of variety, but I couldn't find any prices.  Come to find out, they're a wholesaler.  How'd y'all manage to get your hands on their product by chance?  I'm having a heck of a time finding a variety of Zs at a decent price. 

40 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I checked out their website and they have tons of variety, but I couldn't find any prices.  Come to find out, they're a wholesaler.  How'd y'all manage to get your hands on their product by chance?  I'm having a heck of a time finding a variety of Zs at a decent price. 

Hi, which website are you referring to?  Aquarium depot has reasonably priced frags with frequent sales, but their selection is limited.  Aquasd has a great selection, but no free shipping till you hit the $500.00 mark if I remember right.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:21 PM, Type-H20 said:

Hi, which website are you referring to?  Aquarium depot has reasonably priced frags with frequent sales, but their selection is limited.  Aquasd has a great selection, but no free shipping till you hit the $500.00 mark if I remember right.

My mistake.  I thought y'all were talking about Reefgen, since you mentioned Reefgen Vulcan Blood zoas.  I've been keeping an eye out for the above mentioned sites. 

• 2 months later...

Quick update:   

Tank is still running, but has had some setbacks.  First I lost the sps frags.  They started bleaching on the shaded sides then slowly all bleached.   I think I blame the A80.  In general, I just haven't seen much growth under this light.   I mean back when I was running t5's, it seemed like zoa were adding polyps regularly, but under this light there has been very little  growth.  I'm actually contemplating going back to t5ho's (this will involve moving to a 24 inch wide tank).

Next, a lot of the zoa would not open, and the Acans were not as big and fluffy either.  The only thing that seemed healthy were the euphylia.  Water was fine (tank is fishless).  I checked my temperature and realized it was up at almost 88 degrees.  The Hydor heater is fine - this was human error, I adjusted the temp during maintenance and somehow set it way too high; the weak link in the chain strikes again (beer may have been involved  -  I have no other explanation - so stupid).