Cultivated Reef

Help me aquascape

NanoReefTexas

NanoReefTexas

Hey reefers,

I am soon going to order teh beautiful Lalo LR I wanted, and I am thinking of making a back wall with arches, towers, caves, that curls around like the pic shows with an open lagoon in front. The trouble is, I've never aquascaped before, and I am terrified that I'll end up with an unstable pile of rocks that look drab and boring. Anyone near Sweetwater TX, that is willing, I beg of you, come and help me! I swallowed my pride, and decided to not buy the anemone I was going to, even though it was purdy! In truth, I was afraid it was dyed, and the Ebayer never responded to my e-mails, but if he ever does, I am going to tell him if I gotta pay for the LTA, since he seems shady, I will to save my rating, but I'm not ready for such a critter. :( *sniff sniff* Anyhow, I am willing to tear down my tank and put what I have temporarily (a couple months) in a 2.5 nano, is it possible to do the whole cable ties, acryllic rods stuck through drilled LR to hold it up, and use PVC to make a real cool aquascape in a tank as small as my 10 gallon? Please, somebody help me...

Cable ties and acrylic rods are good choice if you're that worried, but work a little better on dry rock, than LR (drilling). You could try epoxy as well, or even superglue if you're only going to be working with enough rock for a 2.5. Potatos are not advised

ive decided that aquascaping is like a puzzle. just fiddle around with the pieces till they fit together, they dont fall down, and they look nice :) and if u dont glue them all together then u can change your mind and move them around again later on...

nanoreeftexas,

I have my rock pretty much set up like that, it is pretty stable without gluesupport because I'm using pretty large base rock.

But I don't like it, and will be changing it soon... my waterflow is crappier with this type of set up, as I'm trying to keep my powerheads at the back of the tank... maybe you can do a better job with it... you'll just need to think about how you'll get water circulating (avoiding dead spots) as the overhang and cave idea naturally protects and shields against water flow... unless u have a p/h set up at the front of the tank blasting in...

B

One more thing to remember that i wish i knew when setting up.

Most coral frags will come on a little piece of live rock as well so you have to make sure you figure this into your aquascaping.

Archived