inTank Media Baskets

puffer not eating

casper

I got a porcupine (spiny) puffer 3 days ago and it has not had a bite to eat.

I know it can be a couple of days until it eats but is 3 full days not a bit long?

I've tried feeding him, krill, smelt, mussells and tiger shrimp but he's not too keen on any so far.

Any suggestions?

in my dads old 55 gallon tank he had one not eating it was a pacaso and it died within 2 weeks.... if you have a hospital tank i would suggest putting him in it... His trigger laid on the sand and crashed the tank once he died ....

so i suggest moving it or putting it in a new tank:*( poor lil thing

It is a bad sign that your puffer is not eating. Please provide more information: ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, PH, salinity, filtration and tank size.

Also, describe his behavior, is he active at night? What is his coloration like? Does his cloration change through out the day.

How big is he, do his eyes look clear (besides the beautiful irridescent blue specks)

See if you can get a look into his mouth. If you need to you can handle him to make sure you get a look. His beak may be overgrown, in which case, you will have to trim it manually (very tricky.)

When I got my first porc he didn't eat for a couple days. Your little guy is not suffering any harm right now, but you need to get him to eat soon.

The krill may not be large enough, it should be about the size of his eyes. He needs something large enough to catch his attention.

Great news!!!

The little man has started eating.

Tried him with bigger krill and now he's eating cockles, smelt etc.

I rubbed the food on the edge of his nose and after a while he gulped it up.

As for the swollen lip, a part of my tank is mirrored and he was sliding his lips up and down the glass trying to i'm guessing attack himself? The mirrored side has now been covered with live rock to solve the problem.

His coloration was fading after a few days which was why i was getting worried. His colour is totally back to normal now he is eating.

All levels in the tank are spot on, i,ve been checking it a lot recently.

Thanks for the info Ciwila!! Very much appreciated.

Archived