Pod Your Reef

Impulse Buy

Jobet

First off, let me apologize to everybody because this isn't my style. Typically I will research a forum and try to find the answers before posting for help.  Im new to saltwater and reef tanks. I've had freshwater tanks before. With that said, ive done alot of research online watching and learning from channels such as fishofhex, milehighreefers, etc.

My intention was to continue researching and saving money to help better prepare myself for maintaining a triple digit (sized) reef tank down the road. 

Now that you have a lil background on me and my intentions,  I came across a 29 gallon used nano tank setup that someone wants to get rid of.  I'm very interested in getting my feet wet with this set up however I'm a bit nervous because it appears to already be stocked.   I haven't seen it in person yet however i have every intention of purchasing it and getting the quality of the tank back up to par.  

My concern is the fact that there are living creatures already in the tank.   What approach would you folks take? First things to consider? Steps to ensure? An RO/DI unit, and skimmer come to mind immediately but to be honest,  i havent done much research on nanos yet.

I feel like my back is against the wall while attempting to transport and save this tank.   

Im open to purchasing anything and everything needed for a successful relocation of the tank. 

Again, my apologizes, this isn't my style, i prefer to research on my own timeline but time is very limited in this situation.   THANKS IN ADVANCE for any and all input.  I look forward to being part of this forum. 

If anyone wants to keyboard bash me for doing this on a whim, pleae save it.  This tank doesn't appear to be in good shape and id like to try to save it while starting small in this awesome hobby. 

20180424_140047.jpg

Screenshot_20180424-135254.jpg

looks like you will have to do a lot of cleaning on it but a decent deal for tank and stand.

you could also turn in the stock you dont like to an LFS 

Just my two cents. I would save the headache and return the live stock to the store.. replace the sand and read up on how to clean the rocks and start fresh..  dealing with some one else's algae problems isn't fun , not to mention if there are any pests like flat worms or apsiata.. 

Lobster, that seems like the most logical approach but honestly,  affording me more time to research and set it up.  But honestly, I'd like to keep the clowns atleast.  Not sure about the anenome.

You know what,  clowns aren't too pricey,  i think i might just do that...... checking with LFS now. 

I really appreciate the input so far folks!

Keep it coming :)

It needs tlc.

First, instead of worrying about skimmers etc I'd get the much needed basics. 

Salt,

water (rodi or distilled) ordering an rodi is a good idea but you will need water for resetting the tank. 

Refractometer

Test kits

Additional cheap heater and powerhead for making water

Buckets

New filter media (filter floss and carbon)

New toothbrush and turkey baster

Seachem Prime (just in case)

Buy new sand and wash it prior to picking up the tank.

Have lots of newly mixed water ready for set up

To transport:

Siphon water into buckets. Buckets with lids.

Put livestock in 1 and rocks in another.

Remove all sand and throw it out.

Transport all items to your home

Upon arrival to your home:

Put a heater and powerhead in your livestock bucket (an air hose and stone is another good option)

Remove equipment from tank and wash it in water/vinegar mix

Scrub the tank down and rinse with water and vinegar, rinse well. (Straight razor works well at removing algae and baby bottle brushes work well in the back chambers.

Set up tank and stand

Add the rocks, then add sand, then fill with new salt water. Add new filter media.

Turn heater, pump, and powerhead on

Ensure salinity is correct

Once temp reaches desired level and you can see to the back wall of tank, add livestock.

You should not have a cycle as the rocks are established but testing ammonia is a good idea just in case and in the event, you will have seachem prime on hand.

• Like 2

Looks like the owner didn’t do any maintenance at all. Please don’t do it and save yourself all the time on cleaning the shit out of it. Better to start with a new tank or otherwise a cleaner used one. Just my 2 cents:)

Don't add value because it's already an established tank. I'd say that decreases the value in that state. $100 is a good deal for a setup though, especially if you can get credit for the fish at your local store. Just plan on doing what others suggested and cleaning out and starting over.

Thanks for all the replies.   Clown79, awesome input, thanks so much.   Unfortunately, i put myself in a tough position. Do to my lack of experience, minimal knowledge and time ticking,  i decided to buy the setup and donate the fish to a LFS.  I wasnt prepared to have that tank setup in a reasonable amount of time. 

As for the  game plan.....i intend to place an order for supplies needed to keep the ball rolling,  very soon.  The rock will be stripped of all the algae and set in a container to recure.  That tank was disgusting and i dont want to risk anything so I'm starting all over and taking my time. 

I am concerned because i did a lil reading and apparently several people have complained of hair line cracks developing on there jbj cube tanks and i even read of a blowout.  Also i read that the jbj LED hood has been known to go out, fairly quickly:/

Im not sure how i feel about this tank at this point......what do you folks think? Should i get rid of it or find a new light and keep going?

Here she is after a decent scrub down.

THANKS AGAIN!PhotoGrid_1524621438021.thumb.jpg.d09b67b01cacedb0d09341bbb4f95587.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Looks GREAT clean. What a deal! With the money you saved there you can use the savings to get the gear the guy mentioned above! Congrats! In my opinion for what it's worth. I'd trash the hood and go open top. It helps with Nanos from what I've read.....Im loving my kessil A160WE light.

Five.five-six

Open tops are look nice and help with heat but jumpy fish jump out.  

Most of the skimmers suitable for a 29 don't work all that well. Aquamaxx HOB1/1.5 work very well but you are probably better off just doing 3-5 gal water changes weekly.  

I would just set it up... the posts about JBJ's cracking seem to be 10+ years old. If they were excessively exploding or cracking, I don't think they would still be making them at this point or would have fixed the problem.

You can find horror stories on just about any brand of tank. 

Make sure the tank is level is your best bet. 

Thanks everyone......im going with new dry rock, and dry sand. I just want to start fresh.  This tank was full of algae, everywhere.    Ive cleaned the tank out pretty good but there are traces of inevitable, residual algae

In the pump and tubing and maybe a lil in the filtration compartment.   This may be a stupid question but here goes......

Is it critical to get ALL of it out? Could this possibly contribute to another outbreak OR so long as my water parameters and maintenance are good,  am i fine?

6 hours ago, Jobet said:

Thanks everyone......im going with new dry rock, and dry sand. I just want to start fresh.  This tank was full of algae, everywhere.    Ive cleaned the tank out pretty good but there are traces of inevitable, residual algae

In the pump and tubing and maybe a lil in the filtration compartment.   This may be a stupid question but here goes......

Is it critical to get ALL of it out? Could this possibly contribute to another outbreak OR so long as my waste parameters and maintenance are good,  am i fine?

Freshwater and vinegar should kill all the algae and dissolve any calcium deposit you cannot reach. If I were you I would run it in fresh water for a few days then dump that water. Any dead matters would decay into the water which you’ll eventually discard.