Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why cycle a tank if doing 100% water changes???

Gaviota

This may be a really dumb question but...

I figure its time to do my first water change and read the article how to do a pico change...

It occurred to me... why did I cycle my tank if I'm just goimg to do 100 percent changes? Can anyone explain? Thought it a good idea to ask before i do my water change ?

mbarton2010
34 minutes ago, Gaviota said:

This may be a really dumb question but...

I figure its time to do my first water change and read the article how to do a pico change...

It occurred to me... why did I cycle my tank if I'm just goimg to do 100 percent changes? Can anyone explain? Thought it a good idea to ask before i do my water change ?

Its not the water that cycles, its the nitrifying bacteria in the rocks. The rocks need to be prepared for the bioload and the only way to do this is cycling because there is die off whenever the rocks are added to a new tank due to air exposure, lack of nutrients, etc. 

Because your not going to do 100% water changes every day. 

I’m simplifying here but the biofilter that gets created during the cycle will process the ammonia into less harmful nitrates between water changes. Then water changes are the method of export of the nitrates and other stuff that algae uses to grow and the replenishment of beneficial elements needed for your reef to grow and thrive. 

• Like 1