Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

need help with hob filters

Kyle99

*if someone has made this thread before please let me know and ill go to that*

Hows it going guys. I'm wanting to add a larger filter to the back of my tank. The ac 20 that i have now is doing a great job on my little 10 gal, but I want something larger like the AquaMaxx HF-M Hang-On-Back Multi Filter with Protein Skimmer. This way I could make a area for micro algae or something like that but they are out of stock everywhere I could find them. The ac 110 seems like a common one that people mod but I just don't like the filter due to lack of extra room in it, Another one that I like is the second picture but i would like to not have the pump in the tank. I'm trying to get as much equipment out of the tank as possible with extra room for filtration. So what do y'all use and or what have y'all made for this? I think it would be cool if someone has made like a separate tank like a sump but one that over flows into the tank. 

amaxx.png

pro40a.jpg

Most use a standard hob and convert it to a refugium. AC110 is the most common hob used.

Unfortunately, small refugiums don't offer as much help as we'd like. 

You can plumb a 3-5g tank for refugium as well

You will need a light over the fuge running on an opposite light cycle to the tank.

1 hour ago, Kyle99 said:

I think it would be cool if someone has made like a separate tank like a sump but one that over flows into the tank. 

I was actually playing around with that exact setup to have a sandy mangrove area for nutrient export and to grow out the mangroves. In the end I gave up because having the tank act as my sump left very little wiggle room for losing power and having the mangrove area drain into the tank. I wanted to do multiple water levels in the mangrove area to stimulate root production but I couldn't make it work.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Most use a standard hob and convert it to a refugium. AC110 is the most common hob used.

Unfortunately, small refugiums don't offer as much help as we'd like. 

You can plumb a 3-5g tank for refugium as well

You will need a light over the fuge running on an opposite light cycle to the tank.

I have a seen a few tests that suggest that it's the light source that limits fuge nutrient export more than the size. It makes sense. Chaeto with a 40 compact fluorescent isn't going to outcompete algae in a DT that is getting hit with 300 par.

Has anyone tried the new coralife filter/skimmer that marine depot is promoting right now? Does not look as nice as the one shown above. It is less than $40 rated for up to 30 gallons. I don't know might work.

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Has anyone tried the new coralife filter/skimmer that marine depot is promoting right now? Does not look as nice as the one shown above. It is less than $40 rated for up to 30 gallons. I don't know might work.

That price sounds like something That may be too good to be true but might be trying. 

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

A Cheato reactor is a great option. 

What is a cheating reactor? I’ve been seeing it throughout the forum. 

Also, I didn’t want to plum the tank because of room same reason why I don’t want a sump. (don’t have a compatible stand) but I was thinking something like a thin acrylic like the length of the tank then like 3ish inches deep but high enough for the water to over flow into the tank. I’ll draw something up to give a view of it. 

In the event of a poweroutage the pump would break the water siphon and flow back to the tank would stop. So no causes of over filling the DT. The tank would also have no weight on it (it’s a cheap 10g) so I don’t trust it.  But I would be able to have more than enough room to put equipment in it. 

The problem I’ve thought of that may be a issue is that the pump pulling the siphon is gonna have to be powerful (I think) maybe not though.