ReefCleaners.org

Moving a 65g tank + 29g sump

Joevember

I'm in the process of buying a 65g reef tank that is completely set up currently. It comes with fish, live rock, corals, etc. 

Never moved a tank and wanted to know the best way to go about it. 

I got some 5g buckets, plastic bags, and boxes to mave with. Is there anything else that I'm missing, or anything that I should know before moving?

The drive to pick up the tank is 40 minutes away. I attatched an image of everything that the tank comes with so you know what I'm dealing with.

20180422_135518.thumb.jpg.31806ec81f8d991b26705a124cfcf7e5.jpg

When moving the tank

Siphon water into buckets first. Remoce rocks last. You don't want to disturb the sand at this stage.

Place livestock in seperate buckets. 

Once livestock is removed, then remove the rocks. Rocks should be kept seperately from livestoxk for their safety.

Ditch the sand and get new sand (pre wash it well a day or so before hand to make life easy for set up)

When you arrive home- place an air hose and heater in the bucket with the livestock.

Set up the tank, place rocks in, place new sand in, fill with new water.

Wait till temp is correct, salinity is correct, and you can see to the back wall of the tank.

Start adding livestock

7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

When moving the tank

Siphon water into buckets first. Remoce rocks last. You don't want to disturb the sand at this stage.

Place livestock in seperate buckets. 

Once livestock is removed, then remove the rocks. Rocks should be kept seperately from livestoxk for their safety.

Ditch the sand and get new sand (pre wash it well a day or so before hand to make life easy for set up)

When you arrive home- place an air hose and heater in the bucket with the livestock.

Set up the tank, place rocks in, place new sand in, fill with new water.

Wait till temp is correct, salinity is correct, and you can see to the back wall of the tank.

Start adding livestock

agreed, the only thing i would add to that is... have about 20 gallons of EXTRA water already mixing and made to 1.025... Mistakes happen, and nothing is worse than making sw at the last minute

• Like 1