Top Shelf Aquatics

What to Put in the First Chamber

AccioFishes

AccioFishes

Hi Everyone! I've been creeping nano-reef for a few weeks now but thought i should post this question because i cant seem to find the answer to it. If there is one please direct me to it!

I'm getting a fluval 13.5 and have decided to go with the inTank media basket for the 2nd chamber. But if i'm not putting a protein skimmer in the 1st chamber, which i've been back and forth about, what should i put in there? inTank has a basket for the 1st chamber as well but i'm wondering if i need it (i dont want to spend money in areas i dont need to)?

What do you evo 13.5 owners have in your chambers?

Also, what media would you recommend to go in either chamber to start a tank with? I will want to grow corals and most likely max-out my biolaod! lol

Thanks!

• Like 1

During cycling, only filter floss which should be changed often during cycling, it gets full quickly.

After cycle it should be changed 2 times a week minimum.

Carbon: brs, seachem, kent- bag it yourself so you can by bulk- change carbon every 2 -3 weeks. Rinse bags weekly to remove detritus

Or buy pre bagged chemipure

Purigen

If you don't use a skimmer which isn't necessary, you can simply leave it empty or possibly do a refugium

AccioFishes

Thanks Clown79! 

So I'm guessing i don't need the inTank media basket for chamber one at all?

Would filter floss in the first chamber be overkill?

When you say carbon you are meaning just the standard stuff? You are not recommending products like Chemi-pure 'Elite' and 'Blue' etc. - these different types of media are confusing me... is one better than the other for nano reef tanks? Wondering if there is a thread that details the differences between all of these?

A refugium is definitely something i've been thinking about but probably wouldn't tackle right away- would i need the inTank chamber for that?